Friday, June 25, 2010

#3 - Ribbon Board

So The Redhead went for many moons without any hair, save for a smattering of orange peach fuzz:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Rather than resort to coveting the flowing pigtails of other children, I joined the ranks of ridiculously obsessed women and started outfitting Miss Red in fun headbands, clips, and giant flower bands the size of Rhode Island.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
[above photos copyright nFocus Photography. She is awesome. Just sayin']

Judge me if you must, but you can't tell me that's not some serious CUTE right there. It's science.

SO, having amassed quite a collection of clips, bows and bands, I realized that some sort of organizational tool for these accessories would be necessary in her new room [especially now that she actually has HAIR! HOORAY! :)]

I've seen ribbon boards galore at a host of places, but I wasn't feeling the typical diagonal-ribbon, tufted look. I'm more of a "clean line" type of gal, plus, I wanted a finished edge. I won't lie, this project ended up more involved than I had originally thought, but I'm still really pleased with the outcome and glad I custom-made what I wanted.

I started with this open-backed frame I had in the Decorating Dungeon [my basement storage room, for the newbies]. It was an unfinished frame that at our townhouse, held a bought-at-Michaels-for 4-bucks matte and print of Van Gogh's 'cafe at night' -you can kind of see it over the wine table in this picture.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
So, we moved, the frame moved, Van Gogh met a new friend at a garage sale and found a new home, and I painted the frame black. In the process of that project, I broke the glass, and the frame was unceremoniously dumped back in the dungeon. But, it was perfect for this project! And free! I gave it a couple coats of the same white semi-gloss I used for the round frames. Easy stuff. First step after that was to measure the inside of the frame to see what size board I would need.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I had originally planned on cutting a piece of plywood or MDF for the backing of the board, but in the garage I found some scraps of pegboard left over from when Mr.V. cut me a board to organize all my crafting atuff. So, free again!

Once the pegboard was cut, I needed to layer something soft. I was planning on foam, but then I went to Joann's to pick up fabric and foam and discovered how ridiculously expensive foam is. Considering what you're getting, it's a pretty big racket, I think. No thanks. I had a backup plan: A couple months earlier some friends of our family installed hardwood flooring and had a really nice carpet remnant [plus cushy carpet pad] that they offered up for our [currently unfinished] basement. The remnant and pad were larger than our basement space, so I lopped off a rectangle of the padding and trimmed it to fit my pegboard. I used spray adhesive to keep it stuck to the board, but I don't think that step was a must-do.

I laid out my fabric, wrapped it around the pegboard, and attached it with a staple gun.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Onto the ribbon. I chose 2 different widths of the same ribbon to create a little visual depth, but you can use whatever floats your boat - different colors, patterns, etc.
I cut the lengths to there was enough to wrap around teh edges. I measured one side first, then attached the top and bottom rows with the staple gun. On the other side, I attached the top of the ribbon, then wove each piece through the first side, like a basketweave, before attaching the bottom.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Once your ribbons are in place, just fit the entire board into your frame. I chose to reinforce the edges with Gorilla Glue (let dry overnight) and it's very sturdy.

The finished product (sorry about the wacko lighting):
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

All ready for clippies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Budget Breakdown:

Frame, Paint + Pegboard = Free (found around the house)
Fabric = $4 ($8 for 2 yards on sale at Joann's sale + coupon.. don't even think I used close to a yard - plenty left over.)
Ribbon = $2 (2 rolls at $1 per roll at Michael's)

Project Total: $6

No comments:

Post a Comment