Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Easy Transformation

I've been needing something in that space... you know, the awkward couple feet between your kitchen cabinetry and the ceiling? When we built this house, I thought the extra-high ceilings were light and airy and wonderful. They still are, I guess, but that space is a major pain. I've already had 3 different things up there in this specific spot, most recently a black wire bowl with green apples. While I liked the color splash, I've moved on. And therein lies the rub.

It's easy to be fickle with spaces like these, which is where thrift stores come in; it's a lot easier to change your mind without getting a lump in the pit of your stomach, thinking about all the money you've wasted on decor.

Enter our latest Goodwill transformation (please ignore the car parked in my, ahem, "workshop")

Before:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I know, it's pretty hideous, right? All "painted to look like tree bark" and such. But the embossed image is nice, and the $2.99 price tag is even better!

I found a can of Rustoleum Navajo White paint at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, ... and that price tag is no lie.. priced at a whopping $1.50! In addition to the bargains found at your local ReStore, every dollar you spend there goes to help an awesome organization. Bonus! This color is a deep, creamy white and also happens to be the same color as my doors and window sills, so hey, everybody wins.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Two coats and a couple hours later... Voila!

After:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Easiest. Transformation. Ever.

Budget Breakdown:
Pitcher: $2.99
Paint (whole can): $1.50

Total Cost: $4.49

1 comment:

  1. I never seem to have this vision :). I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete