Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Little More Label Love

So, I got new canisters for my pantry. Mainly because the old ones were these weird lucite ones with a latch, and I had other ideas for where to use them.  But not for my flour and sugar.

I chose these because I loved the clean stainless look. And I didn’t care that it was going to be in my pantry where virtually no one outside of my immediate family would see.
I like cute.
Sue me.

Because they are the same size and at a glance you can’t tell what’s inside them (I mean, you can, but it’s flour and sugar. They look a lot alike. It’s easiest just to read what’s on the container, right?) I needed some sort of label.  Darn, right? Because I totally hate labels ;)  I didn’t want to put anything permanent on them (have you figured out yet that I change things all the time? :) ) So at first, I just used these metal alphabet magnets.


They were really cute. For like, a minute. Then I actually used the containers, and if anything else in the pantry bumped up against the canisters, it only took a hot minute for them to become a jumbled mess. Not a fan.

I still liked the idea of magnets, but I definitely needed something singular, rather than a bunch of letters bumping all around.
Off to Michaels I went, and found the basics - cute scrapbook paper, two wooden discs (for $0.29 each) and the all-holy Modge Podge.

And from my craft room I grabbed a paintbrush for the 'Podge, scissors and some leftover adhesive-backed magnets.  They're the kind you buy at any office supply store.  The ones I had were the size of business cards, but they also sell them in small squares.  I just cut mine to size and called it good.


And really folks, there's not a whole lot of "how to" beyond this.

I traced the circles onto the scrapbook paper, then Modge Podge'd 'em together. 
I printed out my words on a textured paper, and cut out a slightly smaller circle (with the words on it).  
I Modge Podge'd those to the scrapbook+wood circles. 
When they dried, I lightly sanded the edges to get rid of any paper edges/flakes.
Then I just peeled off the adhesive backing on the magnets, and stuck 'em to the back of the wooden circles.

Then stick them on your canisters, like this:

And there you go.




Linking to:

6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I've been on the hunt for new canisters for while - I hate the ones with a latch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and cute...that's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and I love that you don't need any fancy machines to make them! Thanks for joining the party~happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you found a great, and budget friendly, way to solve your problem. Great thinking:) Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope you'll come back next week and link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks "clean" and wonderful! and i love a almost instant gratification project
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete