Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Repurposed Wine Crate

I’ve written about this summer’s garage sale scores (well, scored from our own garage sale, anyway! :) ), most notably our cute little table with great gams, and my perfect mirror for The Redhead’s Room.

Today’s post is about transforming an item that was supposed to be in that same sale… but I snatched it up from my mother's basement before it even made it into her car.

Mom had found this wine crate at an estate sale, I think, and she was thinking of parting with it for a mere $1.

Here’s a dollar, mom, because this little guy will be coming with ME, thankyouverymuch.


It has a cool, rustic vibe going on, it’s a good size and it’s very sturdy. I thought with a little dressing up, I could make it cute and functional. 
I needed something to line the bottom, so I used cork. You know I love cork anyway, plus, hey, it’s a wine crate. Wine? Cork? No brainer. Lucky for me I had a leftover roll from lining the inside of one of my kitchen cabinet doors, but you can find a gigantor roll of cork for $10 or less at most craft stores, OR look in the shelf liner section at Target/Wal-mart/etc.



The lesson I learned from this project: Measure Twice, Cut Once.


I measured (wrong the first time, correctly the second) the inside of my tray, and cut the cork into strips for both lengthwise and width-wise. I found that using a craft knife (the kind that looks like a pizza cutter) works the best, rather than regular scissors. I used a yard stick as a guide to keep my cuts straight.


Once I had my strips cut, I wove the pieces together under-over style, like a basketweave. I found it helps to add a dot of hot glue under each "over" piece as you go, to keep the weave tight and together.



THAT was the time-consuming “Seriously, I’m never doing this again” part. The next step was easy: just take the mat you’ve woven and glue it to the bottom of the tray. I used hot glue because I thought some day I might decide I’m tired of it and want to peel it off. But Gorilla Glue would be another great, albeit more permanent, option.

From there, I drilled a few holes and added handles, and now instead of a $1 garage sale box, Mom has a chic cocktail tray.
(*And really, you could use this same process to line the bottom of pretty much anything, even a ready-made tray, to save you the step of adding handles.)



The After:



Cheers!

**PS My apologies for the low-light photos... this is what happens when your project time is often limited to the hours after The Redhead goes to bed.  Oh well!


Linking up to Get Your Craft on Tuesday Spotlight Yourself , Paisley Passions and Someday Crafts

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of weaving the cork board. This is a great look. I may have to borrow this idea. :-)

    http://froufrugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This is one of the coolest projects I have seen! I can't believe you basket wove all those strips of cork! That must have taken alot of time! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love that you wove all of those strips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another great makeover link up to A Crafty Soiree! I know the weaving was time consuming but the results are great. The texture adds a lot of interest, you have a knack for remaking things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome project! You made such a great serving tray with lots of character and design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project!!! Thanks for sharing this one on Thrilling Thursday too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of weaving the cork. It gives it great dimension. Using the wine box was great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this idea! it's perfect as a hostess gift, too! maybe i should invite you over for cocktails so you can make me one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deal, Cassie. That's a total deal! :)


    Thanks for the super nice comments gals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great deal :} and what great insight! You had a real vision with this one!

    Denise
    http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the wine crate tray as well. The cork board was such a great addition. You could've stopped at the handles and it would've been perfectly fine, but the cork board made that a really unique piece.

    ReplyDelete