Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Don't Need No Stinking Whiteboard...

So, I love dry-erase markers. 
I love that they're easy to use, easy to clean up, and they don't leave all the dust that chalkboards often do.
But I hate whiteboards.  Hate 'em.

Whiteboards are for teachers, Tim Russert [RIP] and Presidential elections.


They're not exactly chic design.
And, they get stained and gnarly pretty quickly.  That's not cute.

In college, my dorm roommates and I had a crappy whiteboard that stained so fast we barely got one "Emily, your mom called" message on there before the entire surface was smeared robin's egg blue.  Being poor college students, we were all too cheap to go to Wal-Mart and spend $6 on another whiteboard, so we just started writing phone messages on the mirror that hung next to the phone. 

When we moved into an apartment we just hung a cute framed mirror on the wall by the phone and called it good. And it was way better to do your makeup or check your hair while talking and writing messages.
[What can I say?  We were totally vain :) ]
It was then I realized that silly white surface wasn't necessary - I could make a dry-erase board out of anything with a non-porous, slick and wipeable surface.  And so I did. :)

When we moved into our current house, I had 5 of these floating frames from Pier 1



I used 4 of them for a frame arrangement in the office, but the last lonesome guy needed a home.  I gave him a coat of black paint and a vinyl V, and now he houses my list of all those "if I don't write it down now, I'll forget it" grocery items

Floating frames are my favorite because they let your nice wall color shine through.  They utilize the wall space without being "heavy"... And let's be honest - they can be cheaper than, and we know they're cuter than those silly old whiteboards ;)

2 comments:

  1. So happy to see you at A Crafty Soiree! That's WAY cuter than the version the late great Tim is holding. Good way to use up a frame you already had on hand. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing you next time too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - gonna have to borrow that. :)

    ReplyDelete