Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Simple Halloween Decor

So I've noticed that some folks aren't as keen on the "skipping halloween decor" idea as I am.
Well, fine. ;)

Today I have a simple halloween accessory that even a halloween scrooge like myself will like.  Bonus: there's a bottle of wine in it for you.  Hee.

My mom found this project in the most recent issue of Women's Day magazine.  They had several cute ideas for turning wine bottles into spooky decor. 


[source: Women's Day]
Here's a link if you're interested in more.

Start with a wine bottle (you can use full or empty.  I went with empty :) )
The first step is to take your wine bottle and soak off the label. 

If your bottle is full, make sure you use room-temperature water so you don't monkey with the temperature of your wine and risk spoiling it.  The safer route is to do what I did - have a couple nights in front of the t.v. with your husband and a fat glass of red wine after the kiddo goes to sleep.  Then by the time you're ready to take the label off the bottle.... Oops!  It's empty! :)

So, I just rinsed the bottle out and left it soaking in the sink for a while.

Once the labels easily peeled off, I used Goo Gone to get the rest of the residue off.

After that, I took a white paint marker to make my spiderweb, but there are all kinds of possibilities for designs, etc. - put a spooky tag or tie some black velvet ribbon around the neck for extra effect.

All right folks, that's about as Halloween as I get.  I'm roasting some pumpkin seeds tonight for added Halloween Karma with you guys :)


5 comments:

  1. Ok, I have to admit, although I am now one of your devoted followers, I was a lurker for a while. I love your stuff! Your sense of humor is right up my ally and I LOVE that you refer to your daughter as The Redhead (it's much nicer than what my husband calls me - Ginger or Daywalker. lol). But seriously? For someone who doesn't really "do" Halloween, you do an awesome job! I can't wait to make one of these spiderweb wine bottles, like, tonight! Hmmm, I guess that means I'll have to polish off a bottle of wine... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, "Daywalker"? That's awesome. Totally awesome.

    I am a Redhead too, so we've got to stick together! :)

    Love that you're stopping by on the regular, and thanks for the nice words! PS I creeped your blog and your subway art was super cute. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I need to start drinking - I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your wine bottle emptying technique! This is really cute and since I can't bear to throw glass bottles away, it would be a fab outlet for my hoarding (-:
    Thanks for joining us at A Crafty Soiree hope to see you tomorrow! Malia

    ReplyDelete