Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Perfect Potatoes + Happy Thanksgiving!

Quick post today folks - lots to do and to quote Jessie Spano, "there's no time!  There's never! Any! Time!"
(I'll marry you if you can name that show/episode ;) )

I don't have a project for you today, but I'm sharing secrets: the secret to perfectly creamy, lump-free potatoes for your Thanksgiving dinner.

Are you ready?

Here it is:
This wonderful invention is a potato ricer, and it's the bomb-diggity.
 
Last year, I hosted Thanksgiving for the first time ever.
It was for Mr. V's side of the family, which is
 
A. Ginormous
and
B. Full of giant, farm-fed men. 
 
This is a meat and potatoes group, and as the host, my primary duties were the um, well, meat and potatoes.  No pressure.
 
For whatever weird reason, I was terrified of making lumpy potatoes.  I didn't want to be known as that poor girl who can't even make potatoes right.
 
The ricer works just like a garlic mincer.  Once your potatoes are boiled, you put them in the ricer, squeeze, and your potatoes are shoved through little holes and come out the other side looking like.... rice.  Go figure.
The result is a mass of fluffy potatoes that whip up like a dream.
If you listen to Paula Deen (AND I DO! :) ) you just add some sour cream, milk (a tablespoon at a time), a little minced garlic, about a tsp of salt and some fresh ground black pepper, some butter and top it off with a little parmesan cheese, and you'll have potatoes to.die.for.
 
[food network image]

(At least I'm told my potatoes were to die for at our office Thanksgiving pot luck, but whatever.  You can feed co-workers anything and they'll eat it :) )
 
So go.  Go buy a ricer.  Make fluffy potatoes.  Enjoy their creamy, carb-y goodness.
Then take a nap.  And be Thankful.
 
Have a wonderful holiday everyone - I'll be back on Friday with the start of the Christmas madness.
 
Until then -
 
Cheers,


3 comments:

  1. Any self-respecting child of the 80s could name that show...Saved by the Bell. The episode where Jessie takes some kind of pills. "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so....so...scared!" :)

    And thanks for the potato tip! My in-laws are also a meat and potato clan. And, unfortunately, I am the DIL that makes less than perfect potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRILLIANT! I should have known you would represent, Lisa - you make a Jayhawk proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saved by the Bell! "I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...SCARED!"

    It shouldn't be funny, but it kind of is :)

    ReplyDelete