Friday, November 26, 2010

Wreath Makeover

Hi there!  Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends - I know I did!
Since we're now officially in full-on Christmas mode, the V Side is entering Christmas-palooza right along with you. :)

I like saving money, finding bargains or making things in my home look like a million bucks when they really cost only a couple.
But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to invest in quality.
I believe that you're better off spending a thousand dollars on a sofa that is a classic shape, color and texture that you'll be able to update for 15 years, rather than buying a cheap sofa for $300 that won't hold up or will go out of style in just a few.

It was with this philosophy in mind that I invested in my first "real" Christmas decorations many years ago.
I was single, living in my cute little townhouse, and I wanted a pretty wreath for my front door. 
But as I've mentioned in past posts, I'm super particular when it comes to evergreen. 

So, when Pottery Barn came out with their bay leaf line (LOVE!!), I jumped on it.
I bought the garland for my mantle, and the round version of this wreath:


Hey, gimme a break, it was 2001!  They don't even make the round version anymore!

Sigh.  So pretty though, right?

I loved that wreath.  It hung on my door, facing the bright afternoon sun every holiday season for 8 years.  And then last year when I pulled it out of storage, I finally noticed it looked like this:



Don't see it?  Here's a close-up:


The sun had bleached my poor wreath and turned it into a mottled mess.  SAD.

BUT, I noticed, other than the color, it was actually still in perfect shape!
I wasn't ready to let it go just yet. 

First I "fluffed" up the leaves to try and make sure there was a little bit of space between as many of them as possible.


Then I trimmed off all the mistletoe berries, twigs, and cute little sparkly doodads to save for later.


I took her to the garage and spent a week or so spray coating the leaves in Navajo White (it's just a hair creamier than Heirloom White) - it's one of my favorites, and I think it's the perfect "winter white"

This process took a little longer than a normal spraypainting project because of all the leaves.  It's tough getting an even coat because they all seem to overlap!  It got a little frustrating at times, but by God I was determined. :) 

Once it had dried for about 3 days (mainly because I was too busy with our friend The Redhead being sick to tend to my wreath), I brought it back inside and reattached all its "bling".  I just used the hot glue gun and made sure to tuck the blobs of glue behind the bases of the leaves as best I could.


And now, she sits back in her rightful place on my front door, with the same classic lines that sparked our love affair, now with a new updated look:


And I'll totally admit I smooched that wreath when it was finished. 
It's THAT cute. :)


Cheers,


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Looks great against your black door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, Hello!!!
    Awesome!!!
    I totally love it!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to upcycle that wreath...very modern.

    If you have a second, please stop by and link up to Creative Juice Thursday!

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com

    life without creating is like cake without frosting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good save and wonderfully done! I'm thinking of doing this to a laurel wreath that has seen better days, thanks for the inspiration. It looks MARVELOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your recreation all painted! I'm putting it in the Spotlight at the PoPP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is a great idea. I think I could spend all day just looking at blogs with upcycle, freecycle and recycled decorating. I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete