Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ice is Nice Part 2: Christmas Party Cubes

Are you hosting this year? 
It can be stressful wanting to make everything "perfect" for your guests,
but I've learned over time that it's not the big "WOW"-factor things that people remember the most... it's the little things.
And sometimes, those little, personal touches can be the easiest thing you do all day.
Today's project is just that:  Easy. As. Pie.  No.. Easier!
I started with this silicone baking tray from the dollar spot at Target. 
I'm going to try this out with Christmas cookies a little later,
but for now, it's all about ice.

In my family, we have cocktails at Christmas, and many of those tend to be garnished with lime or lemon.  This is a cute way to get your garnish on, and keep your drink cold, too.

I chose to work with lime (um, trees?  Green?  No-brainer :) ), so I just chopped up the pieces and laid them in the compartments.  Because the baker is silicone, I found it easiest to put it on a cookie sheet to help me keep things steady when I moved it to the freezer.

 Fill your trees with water.  Tip: I used a gravy boat to pour the water in and it worked beautifully.  Waaaay easier and far less messy than trying to hold the tray under the faucet.
Freeze.

The silicone tray makes it super easy to pop your cubes out once they're frozen. 
Your holiday Gin & Tonic will thank you. :)




And this is kind of a "duh" moment, but your drinks don't have to have alcohol in them - imagine these little trees frozen with lemon slices in your water goblets on the table for Christmas dinner?
I can hardly stand all the cute!

You don't have to use fruit, either - I froze one side of my tray using these sugar pearls



They came out solid white on the front, but then they start to melt, the pearls inside start to drop away and it's really pretty!  These would be great in a sweet Christmas punch.


Cranberries or pomegranate seeds would also be a festive addition to any beverage.
Just keep in mind that your garnish will eventually mix into your drink, so either freeze something that won't affect the taste (like cranberries), or choose something that pairs well with your chosen beverage (i.e. limes with coke, gin & tonic or rum & coke, lemon with water or vodka/tonic or club soda, etc.)

Cheers,

5 comments:

  1. Such a fun and special touch! Def something others would remember when leaving :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cute idea! i love it!

    I'm hosting a giveawayright now that you might be interesting in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great ideas! I used those silicon molds to make recycled crayons. Now, I know something else I can use them for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!

    Come enter for a free necklace from Heart Strings from Orphans!!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/gifts-that-give-back-heart-strings.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete