Friday, January 21, 2011

Now That it's Organized... Let's Decorate

Remember this buffet that was so embarrassingly messy?
After:

Before:

Not sure why I subjected myself to that "before" picture again. 
That gives me hives.
Anyway.  Once I wasn't distracted by all the clutter in and around it, I couldn't stop staring at it.
Not because it was gloriously organized (ok, but it kind of is ;) ), but because without all the junk shoved all over it, I realized it was missing...  Something. 

I love that wreath, but had hung it there originally because it was more in line with the shelf up above. 
It didn't bother me before, but it bothers me now. 
I needed something of substance on that wall. 
Something to give it another layer in that great open space on that giant wall.

My oldest friend's mom had a chalkboard hanging in their kitchen, and every time I was over there, we were always writing notes to her family, or making our "mark" there.  Her mom liked it - she said it was evidence that the house was "lived" in.  I liked that.
I decided this would be the perfect place for a chalkboard of my own.
But I'm fickle and needed to decide if I was reeeeaaallly going to love it there.

So I taped off a general area, and we lived with this for a couple weeks.
Mr. V. thought I was nuts with my "imaginary decorating".


But, I decided YES!  That's IT!


I was all set to make a chalkboard on my own on the
cheap (nice piece of MDF cut to size by my friends at the hardware store, a couple coats of chalkboard paint and some trim. 
Paint, dry and hang.  Done.)
For about $12, I could build a nice-looking little jobby-job here.


BUT,  then I found this
The perfect size.  Solid wood trim.  For $13.
AND HALF-OFF.

Um, YES PLEASE.

I'm all about DIY, but the primary reason for doing so, other than enjoying it, is to save money.
Buying this guy saved me money AND time, which is darn-near priceless these days.

So I snatched him up and took him home to see how he fared over the buffet.




LOVE!
(PS do you LOVE the silhouette of The Redhead?  That was a Christmas gift from Cool Sister and I.Love.It.  So perfect.)


From there all I needed was a couple coats of Navajo White and some Command Picture Hangers to finish the deal.

After:

And once again, because I was taking pictures at night, the color is a little washed and tough to see here..
but it's actually a really lovely, creamy white that contrasts nicely with the warm taupe on the walls. 



And now I don't get that weird twitch when I walk by this space anymore.
Life is Good, Indeed. :)


Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. love it and I am ALL about buying when it is cheap and not doing the work! The area looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Looks like a great spot for it. I was into the chalkboard thing this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chalkboards anywhere!!
    Yours looks great above your cabinet!

    ReplyDelete