Friday, January 14, 2011

The Paperwhites.


Happy Friday!


I received a couple emails earlier in the week from folks asking about the paperwhites I have growing in a glass hurricane on my mantle.
And I'm not surprised.
When it looks like this outside:



Having something like this inside:
makes it feel a little less cold and barren.

I'm a huge fan of spring flowers, but I haven't come across many
that appeal to me visually that also bloom in the winter.
So, when I received these paperwhites as a Christmas gift, I was excited.
They came in a cute little galvanized bucket
(and I of course forgot to take a photo)
which I saved for a future use. 
I went ahead and planted a few in my hurricane, which I thought would work
well because of its height, and also with the insane amount of light that comes through the windows over the mantle.
I added some rocks to the bottom to help the soil drain.

These bulbs grew so fast I couldn't believe it!
(the difference between these two pictures is about 4 days. Seriously!)

I received two buckets as gifts (with 3 bulbs apiece).
I loved them so much that I went to Target and was able to pick up a similar kit
with 4 bulbs for about $5, which was awesome.

I took the leftover bulbs and added them to a crisp white
footed bowl for my kitchen table.

I added rocks to the top of this guy for some decorative interest.

Since the bowl is pretty shallow, I wasn't too worried about drainage/overwatering.



 
And here they are today:
Well, I should say "as of last weekend", because as of today, these babies have beautiful white flowers budding everywhere and they smell great!





 A little touch of spring in the middle of




 A couple tips with paperwhites:


As they grow taller, they'll want to flop over to one side or the other.
- You can combat this by planting them in a taller,
narrower vessel so they don't have much room to lean.
- Also, you can tie string around the stems to keep them upright. 
You can see in the hurricane I have a piece of twine tied around them to keep them steady.
- Paperwhites love the sunlight, and they will lean toward the light.
So, pretty much each day, rotate them so they're not pulled in just one direction.


Happy Planting!


Cheers,




No comments:

Post a Comment