Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Anthro-Inspired Pears



Lately I've been in total "Purge" mode.  This weekend I was sorting through my stacks of catalogs and magazines and tearfully parting with some of the older issues.
In my "toss" pile, I came across the holiday catalog from Anthropologie.

I thought these decoupage animal ornaments were cute when I had seen them the first time around, but rhinos didn't exactly fit in with my Christmas "theme". 
But I filed the idea away into my "I bet I can make this..." file.

[photo: anthropologie]

After I recycled the catalog, I started the Great Office Update of 2011 and found these pears shoved in a basket in another corner. 
Go. Figure. :)

They were originally Christmas tree ornaments that I had bought at Hobby Lobby in a post-Christmas 90%-off-fueled-frenzy.
When I got them they were a raspberry color with a black metallic glaze.  YeahNo.  So I gave them a coat of heirloom white paint and used them as vase filler last winter.
But you can see the paint is chipping and it had bubbled and peeled in several places.
So, they would be getting a freshening-up.
I had my lovely assistant gather them up for me.
Before the pears received their makeover, they were part of a lesson in counting.
Cute AND educational!  Bonus! :)

I forgot to take pictures, so bear with me.
I took a thrift store book (I wanted the aged look of the pages,
and also the book pages were also heavier than newspaper, which I liked)
and I cut strips of varying lengths and widths, to accommodate the curves of the pears.
Then I just used Modge Podge to 'paint' the paper onto the pears.
Let 'em dry.

The finished product:



Every material I used was something I already had on hand, and my total time investment was about a half-hour.  I have the attention span of a gnat and this was no problem :)
These looked great in a glass hurricane, and I also have them on a crisp white platter.

Happy Crafting!

Cheers,
Pin It

35 comments:

  1. I'll cover just about anything with pages from a book, and this is really a great idea :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...those look fab!

    I am stopping by from What Ever Goes Wednesday, would love to have you stop by my blog and check out my project :)

    http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-second-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these!! I saw you on Whatever Goes Wednesday, too : )
    craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these!!!! I am so making these - adding it to my favorites for later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute! I really like stuff made like this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! What a great look! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These caught my eye on a Crafty Soiree...LOVE them...will be making some of my own :)

    Your newest follower, Jessica @ http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fantastic!
    smiles!!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I've featured you on my Friday Finds this week! Go take a peek! And thanks for the amazing project idea!

    http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/02/friday-finds-decoupage-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this idea they turned out great. i love your blog would love
    for you to come over and accept the stylish blogger award from me. Come grab the button and join in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These rock! I like the rhino but your pears are more versatile... great idea

    Happy Weekend!!! Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this AND your darling blog . . . especially the "Martha doesn't live here" part.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely adorable! Found you through the DIY Show off party. Glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm stopping by from TDC Before and After. These look amazing!!! I love all things anthro and you definitely did a great job- this totally looks like something out of their store!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is FAB. I just got the stuff to make this! I'll be featuring you when I post! Thanks for the creative sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE. I bet this would look cool with old sheet music, too. (Found you on Thrifty Decor Chick.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are fabulous!! Over here from Thrifty Decor Chick! Will be saving this one in my Inspiration file!

    ReplyDelete
  18. saw you on Thrifty Decor Chick, I love this idea. I think yours are better than the original super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been featured at this weeks Hookin Up with HoH #36!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button!

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous!!! what a great idea! please come link this to our party over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-heart-shaped-ice.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a shelf that has been empty for a while- now I know what to put there! Thanks for the idea.

    :) craftytexasgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are fabulous! Gonna have to do a few as well! (And I love that they were part of a counting lesson!)

    I also like the name of your blog.
    Mine is The V Spot.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous,and of course I LOVE pears...

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this. thought about trying it for christmas ornaments too but obviously ran out of time, as it's now february.

    come check out my blog!
    somedreamingstate.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE these!!!!! I'm about to do a jute pear, but I may do these instead!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable pears! You inspired me to try this!

    -caroline
    http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. So simple - yet so awesome! I love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute! I love the way they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cool and it looks so easy to do - yeah! I may try it with color text craft paper for a splash of color.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really a great idea! Visiting from repurposed life. I have a link party all weekend, every weekend. Come link up with me! -K

    ReplyDelete
  31. Terrific idea. I think I will get some fruit and an old book at my favorite 2nd hand store and go for it. Tana

    ReplyDelete
  32. now this is something (lazy old me) would actually do! LOve it and thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These really look very cute. What make this project really great are the facts that recycled materials were used and the procedure is so easy. This will definitely inspire other readers to come up with their own designs especially that Christmas is fast-approaching. Thank you for sharing this post. By the way, your little assistant is so cute.

    ReplyDelete