Monday, February 7, 2011

Drab Dresser to Sa-WEET Storage!



I found this guy on Craigslist for $30.

When I contacted the seller to see if he would take another amount for it, he told me "Honestly, we're moving and my wife is going crazy. If you can come pick it up and just get it out of here, you can just HAVE it."
::blink, blink::

For FREE?

Yes, Please.

And the next day I hopped in the car to pick it up.
I wish I had taken a "before" picture of my own (the above is the listing picture from CL).
This was a piece of work: chipped old porcelain knobs, and the pulls were gross and literally falling off the shelves.  They were obviously not original to the piece and had been attached with screws that were too short, so they were barely hanging on.  She had some scratches and a minor chip on the side.

BUT, she had good bones. 
The frame is solid and the wood is heavy and in good shape.
I liked the beveled edges on the drawer fronts and for being a smaller dresser, she had quite a bit of storage space.

So I sanded.
And primed.
And painted.

This is what it looks like when you:
1) Are painting in the kitchen because it's -5 in the garage
2) Have a curious toddler
3) Have a nosy dog who likes to shove his snout in wet paint
1 + 2 + 3 = Chair Fortress Around Project :)

But despite the complaints from both child and dog, I think the results were well worth it!
I love it!


She's sitting in this perfect little niche at the base of the stairs to the basement.
I'm going to wait to load her up with "stuff" until the basement is finished, but she will probably be housing entertaining odds and ends (candles, linens, etc.) or board games in the future.

I changed out the crappy hardware for these chrome knobs and cup pulls. 
I replaced the center knob with this card holder/pull for a little added interest, and I really dig the look.


The drawer bottoms were in good shape, but just weren't cute :)
So, I used fabric I had on hand to line the drawers.
I just measured the interior of the drawer, cut the fabric, and used spray adhesive to help the fabric stay put.
I may go back and add a coat of Modge Podge to create a waterproof seal, but right now I'm not sure that's necessary.

I love the look of the fabric so much I've been giving the side-eye to all the rest of the drawers in my house.
You never know who's next! :)

So, Before:


And After:
Ah, :::smooch:::

Cheers,
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. looks amazing!!! and free? can't beat it! :)

    ~Lauren
    tickledonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute! I love the color. The drawer pulls really kick it up a knotch - especially the card holder one. Love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference a coat of paint makes! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it looks great!! I can't believe it was free, that makes it even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Where did you get the cute card holder drawer pull?

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU FOR SHARING. I AM YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER AND I WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU WOULD LINK YOUR SUPER CUTE BLOG UP ON MY BLOG STALKIN' PAGE.

    http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com/p/blog-stalkin.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful! The finish is so smooth! How did you get it that way? What type of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies!

    @Rachel - I found the card holder at Lee Valley Hardware

    @Annette - 2 things for the smooth finish:
    Good Brushes and Good Paint! :)
    I can't remember the brand of my brush offhand, but the important part is that the bristles are synthetic and soft. Use long, steady strokes and don't overload the brush with paint or you'll get very noticable stroke lines.
    I normally use paint with an eggshell finish for furniture, but I wanted this piece to have a little shine to it, since it's placed in a darker area with very little (if any) natural light. So, I used American Accents (made by Rustoleum) Black Semi-Gloss. I believe I bought it at Lowe's

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Alayna - I just linked to your page - thank you for the invitation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done! The pulls are perfect for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I love covering things with black spraypaint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. the change in hardware is soooo nice! and the black just instantly updated and classied up that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oH i LOVE IT!!! I have a desk and dresser that I need to work on. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. emily,
    this is absolutely WOW! i would never have seen the "after" like you did. kudos on the knobs...they are the icing on the cake. love the lining in the drawers too.
    judi
    the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com
    oh yes, found you via thrifty decor chick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, looks amazing! I love the knobs and pulls you found!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily, it's super beautiful!! Great job on this!!=D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Come check out our new sideboard!


    http://breadandbutter143.blogspot.com/2011/02/look-what-we-found.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. dang it girl you are so talented! this is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pictures speak for themselves....amazing, it looks so different..I bet that guy thought you were the unlucky one. NOT...you got the prize!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out amazing! I got a good laugh from the little chair fortress! Too funny! You did a great job! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your great blog through Amy at Mod Podge Rocks (she's also one of my favorites). Scrolling through your posts, I just want to say how much I love your transformation of this dresser. I have not yet been gutsy enough to transform anything larger than a breadbox, but I'm in (creative) therapy trying to work through this. I'm your newest and 170th follower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! This is amazing!! I had to show your pics to my hubby to show him that there is hope for the CL dresser that I plan to make into a really "chic" media cabinet for under his big screen! I CAN DO THIS!!

    tERRI

    ReplyDelete
  23. Free is the best! I love how it turned out, really like the center hardware pull. Why make a fortress when you can use barbed wire haha! I can totally relate I have two beagles. Very lovely blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks beautiful! I love the color and hardware.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. *love it* :o)
    And your method is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic! I recently had a similar redo with a couple pieces of old furniture - it's amazing how a couple coats of paint can breathe new life into some pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. what an uh-mazing transformation! i absolutely love the drawer lining detail you added...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete