Wednesday, February 16, 2011

PB Kids Pillow... With a Twist

As a lot of you know, since the start of last summer I've been slowly piecing together The Redhead's "Big Girl" room, challenging myself to spend as little as possible but still achieve a great look for my kiddo.
I've accomplished my thrifty goals on a lot of items, but I was having difficulty with a decorative pillow for her bed.  Oh I knew which one I wanted, all right, but I couldn't bring myself to spend roughly $30 for a pillow sham.
Did you catch that?  Not even the entire pillow... just the boudoir-sized sham.
I know, people, I know.  I'm being cheap.

Well, I'm in no rush and don't like parting with money unnecessarily.
So, I went searching on ebay to see if I could find an alternative.
Ding Ding!
I found the same sham, brand new with tags, for $3.  The catch?
['cause there's always a catch]
It had someone else's name on it. 
The purchase was a mis-order, and apparently "Sabrina" didn't need this sham. 
Well Sabrina's loss was my gain.  The seller was offering free shipping [which I can't. say. No. to!] so I bought it. 
The gingham trim matches The Redhead's duvet cover perfectly.
I used a set of tiny shears and started tearing out the embroidered name to see if it would be workable simply to remove the thread.
I didn't have super high hopes, but I thought I would give it a shot.

 Most of the way through the 'ripping' process...

There will always be that "ghosted" image of the embroidery, so I went about masking it with materials I already had.

I took fabric scraps left over from The Redhead's Bow Board and her Princess Chair, and some of my leftover fabric from her hanging initial.  From there, I made several of these fabric flowers (click HERE for the tutorial post) and attached them to the sham over the space that was embroidered.
I got all the flowers finished during one episode of "The Office", so it's totally do-able in a half-hour or less.
I used a pillow insert that I already had, and now it's ready for Extreme Cuteness in The Redhead's Room!
I actually love it more now than if it were the plain sham (name or no name).


 Now, am I totally biased because I did it with my own two hands?
ABSOLUTELY. But it's still cute. :)


Cheers,

14 comments:

  1. OMG, I absolutely love it! I think I need to snazzy up some pillows now! Thanx for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - that turned out so CUTE - I LOVE it and I agree it is much better than the original! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you did a wonderful job! The flowers make the pillow...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness it turned out so beautiful. You should be so proud because it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! Love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO stinking adorable!!! I love the flowers, it's just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I'm your newest follower. I'm having my first link party tomorrow (Monday). It would be great if you could stop by and post your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for joining the More The Merrier Monday Linky Party. Be sure to come back next week. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete