I don't know about you, but last summer I got to the point where if I saw one of these guys in good condition at a thrift store for under $4, I was buying it.
Here's what I did with my previous domes.
I thrifted this guy a while back, but hadn't done anything with him.
I had given the base a coat of paint and that was about it.
I wasn't overly thrilled with the woodgrain (and you know I love woodgrain!) peeking through the paint on this one.
So, over the weekend when I took 10 minutes from working in the basement
and rediscovered the cloche in the cabinet.
I grabbed a piece of scrap linen and my Modge Podge and went to work.
I covered the top in the fabric, let it dry, and then cut a circle of the same fabric and 'podged it to the bottom to cover up my handiwork.
Overall, I really love the texture it gives an otherwise flat piece.
Note: when using fabric, unless you go around and cut slits all around the base and then precisely lay them over the base piece by piece, you *will* get a wrinkle or two. (you can see mine best in the pic. above)
You can minimize the wrinkles by using an actual brush vs. a sponge brush, and really saturating the fabric with the Modge Podge.
[Dude, I told you this was going to be super quick!]