Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Super Quick Before & After: Updated Cloche



I don't know about you, but last summer I got to the point where if I saw one of these guys in good condition at a thrift store for under $4, I was buying it. 
Here's what I did with my previous domes.

I thrifted this guy a while back, but hadn't done anything with him.

 I had given the base a coat of paint and that was about it.
I wasn't overly thrilled with the woodgrain (and you know I love woodgrain!) peeking through the paint on this one.
 So, over the weekend when I took 10 minutes from working in the basement
and rediscovered the cloche in the cabinet. 
I grabbed a piece of scrap linen and my Modge Podge and went to work.
I covered the top in the fabric, let it dry, and then cut a circle of the same fabric and 'podged it to the bottom to cover up my handiwork.

Overall, I really love the texture it gives an otherwise flat piece.


Note: when using fabric, unless you go around and cut slits all around the base and then precisely lay them over the base piece by piece, you *will* get a wrinkle or two. (you can see mine best in the pic. above)

You can minimize the wrinkles by using an actual brush vs. a sponge brush, and really saturating the fabric with the Modge Podge.

[Dude, I told you this was going to be super quick!]

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. This is super cute ! Love the idea ! I have one i have not used for years !
    I am a follower and would love for you to come say hi and do the same.
    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi emily, yes i am physically unable to walk away from a cloche that's a bargain. and i love what you did with this one! malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete