Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sleeping Puppy & Saving the Earth

Since finishing the nuts and bolts end of the basement, I've been focusing on (duh! :) ) accessorizing. 
One problem area I've been trying to find a solution for involves this guy:

We’ve been spending a lot of time in the basement now that it’s done, and our furry friend just wants to be wherever we are. 
So, he needs a place to lounge, too.
I’ve been on the hunt for a dog bed for this space (and a new one for upstairs, too), but it is challenging.  As is usually the case, my search came with specific criteria. I knew I didn't want to spend an outrageous amount of money on it, but I needed it to be large enough for my 70-pound friend.  It also needed to be washable – both the cover AND the insert.  His current bed is ugly, flabby and deflated –
and even when I wash the cover, you can still smell “dog” coming from the insert. 
Sorry Newman.  You can get stinky sometimes. 
And frankly, it needed to be cute.  One thing I’ve learned from my search – the pet bed industry has a LOCK on the “ugly fabrics” market.  Yeowser.  Sue me if I don’t want everything related to my dog to be covered in bones, fire hydrants or paw prints.
I was getting discouraged.  And then?  I found Molly Mutt. THIS is what I was looking for!  The beds were  the right size, and the covers used great and quirky (yet durable) fabrics.  Even better was the "stuff sack" that goes inside the duvet:

[source: Molly Mutt]

It's a washable mesh bag that you fill with items you already have: old blankets, towels, those old clothes in the goodwill pile...  the bed helps you repurpose items that might otherwise end up in a landfill.
  And instead of a stinky bed insert, these are items you can easily take out and wash whenever they need it.
Hooray for Recycling!

I ended up ordering 2 stuff sacks and covers – one in the quirky “Big City Life” print for upstairs,
[source: Molly Mutt]

and this pretty “Your Hand in Mine” for the basement (sweet puppy not included.  Boo.). 
[source: Molly Mutt]

Once they arrived (quickly, I might add!) I went right to "stuffing" the sacks and getting Newman's new digs ready.


All duvets are currently made with a thick cotton canvas and I appreciate the nice piping along the sides, attention to detail and durability.

I think he likes it. :)


Disclaimer: I was not compensated by Molly Mutts in any way for the content of this post; I just write about what I like, folks. 
Now, um, Molly Mutts?  If you're interested in sponsorship opportunities, call me.
I know a great model...  :)

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. I adore this post about your wonderful furry friend! I, too, own boxers.. named Twizzler and Goober. And I'm definitely going to check out Molly Mutts. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, your pup is THE cutest! love boxers! second, I've been searching EVERYWHERE for a new bed for our 78lbs pupster! His has GOT TO GO!! This may be just the thing we need! :)

    Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I am going to the website right now! I have 80 & 75 lb boxers myself, and boy are they stinky, and the beds... don't even get me started! thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Boxer people! They are the best. Mischevious little stinkers.... but the best :)

    ReplyDelete