Monday, May 2, 2011

Simple Ottoman Slipcover


Compared to the Frankenstein Slipcovers on my basement sofa and chair, making this cover was a piece of cake.  Like, I spent two hours total on it, and that's only because The Redhead woke up from a nap early so I had to break up the project into 2 seperate 'sessions'.

I started with this beat-to-heck ottoman that was part of the same set as the couch and chair.

I wanted the fabric to contrast with all the white on the other furniture.
And, I wanted it to be even more durable, since 1) feet will be resting on it and 2) a certain furry friend


likes to put his front legs on the ottoman and lounge across it a'la George Costanza:



So, it was going to likely be washed A.LOT.

I ended up using a remnant of a drop cloth that I had on hand (yay, Free!)
I had originally bought the cloth at Home Depot when I was making my
drop cloth curtains, but I only ended up needing 2 so I had this one left over.

I started by cutting a piece to cover the top of the ottoman.
Then, turn it upside-down so that the back-side of the fabric is facing up.
Pin the edges nice and tight.

Then, once the corners are pinned, cut off the excess, giving yourself about an inch for the seam allowance.
(I probably cut mine a little too close here)
Then, using your pins as a guide, sew that edge shut, and turn right-side out on top of the ottoman.

Next step is to make the ruffle.
I pinned the fabric as I pleated to ensure that the hem was even.  Even doing this, mine is still a little uneven.  In hindsight, I should have measured from the floor to the spot I wanted the piping to fall, then drawn a mark all the way around to keep me on track. The difference isn't huge, though, so I'm okay with it.
Hint: I used a tiny piece of hem tape inside each of my "pleats" to hold things in place so I didn't have 9,000 pins all over (I hate pinning).  If you do this, just make sure you don't place the tape where you will eventually be sewing.  Hem tape will gum up your needle.


Next step is sewing your piping.

First, enlist an assistant to hold cording while you pin the fabric around it. 

Subsequently fire assistant for attempting to eat the cording.

Pin your top piece, piping and ruffle to help keep things on track.
Make sure you lengthen your stitch and use a heavy-duty needle along with heavy-duty thread, as the pieces you're sewing here are somewhat thick.
Turn the pieces inside out and sew top + piping and the ruffle together. 
Flip right side out, iron, and enjoy! :)




Cheers,




Linking to: A2Z

11 comments:

  1. Your ottoman slipcover is very pretty...love the pleats! Love your couch and all the pretty pillows too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Paisley Passions. Looks great! I'll bet a lot of work goes into that piping and ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First - I am so glad I found this at House of Hepworths! Second, I have an assistant and he too would rather eat the cord. He has helped alter several t-shirts etc. so I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the pix of your cute pup!
    Thanks so much for sharing how you did this - my oldest son just bought his very first house and is on a tight budget. There are several things I will be trying to cover with drop cloth! So I need all the advice and ideas I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! I can't believe you did this in 2 hours! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. first off, the slipcover is fabulous! I love this idea. second, you are so funny. this post was great.

    I'm a new follower!
    kathryn
    @ thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial, beautiful slipcover. I would love to attempt this but I'm still intimidated. How do you get this in your sewing machine once you have the skirt pinned to the top piece?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Adrienne - I ironed the bejeezus out of it :)

    In truth it was a slight stretch because the layers were a bit thick, but I just went slowly and kept holding the fabric as taut and flat as I could with my hands as I went. I also lengthened my stich quite a bit, and used the heaviest guage needle I could find for my machine. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pleats! This is what I need to do to my ottoman. Stopping by from Shabby Nest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful job! You make it look so easy. (Your project assistant is adorable, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your assistant! I'd find it hard to "fire" him since it looks like he was having fun. I really like he pleats. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

    ReplyDelete