Friday, July 22, 2011

Prepping Fall Planters

I love prairie grass - all kinds of it, really. 
It's a simple way to add texture to your landscaping, or even hide unsightly necessities from view like electrical boxes or air conditioning units.

The grasses are hardy, grow quickly, and return each year.
You don't have to spend a whole lot on them, because a small plant this year, will just about double its size for next year if you treat it right.



I *especially* like prairie grass because they are great for fall, too!
I don't trim mine back until early spring, because I like the look of the stalks through the fall.
They just scream "Harvest" to me

I picked up this little purple fountain grass at Wal-Mart the other day on a whim, and decided to plant him in a pot that I can use on my front porch in the fall.

Last year, I used this planter for my 'punkin and added some prairie grass behind it for texture.



This year, the fountain grass is going to take the front porch stage (with some other fall friends, of course)
RIGHT NOW, the Big Box stores are starting the exodus of all their live garden plants to make way for shovels and snowblowers, so now is a great time to pick up some prairie grass and get it planted before the weather changes.

Did I mention this guy was only 5 buckaroos?


Have a great weekend!
Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. 5 bucks wow!
    Stopping by from the Friday Hops to say hello.
    Have a great day!
    POSH
    http://poshonabudget.com/2011/07/happy-friday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun blog! I found you at HOH! I am your newest follower, I would love it if you would stop by my blog and become my newest follower! i just have to tell you...I'm horrible at math AND my two dogs are like my kids, i talk to them like they are human too!
    LOVE IT!
    Kirsten:)

    ReplyDelete