Friday, September 23, 2011

Healthy Snacking Made Easy


If there's one mantra I live by, it's "Know Thyself", and I'm here to tell you the sad fact:
I Know I will choose the cookie package over the cantaloupe.
The vendo-land treat over the fresh salad.
The fast food option over the hand-prepared lunch.
I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. 

And I've learned that I just don't have the patience or available time for that slow-moving, Rockwellian lifestyle that I daydream about.
I am a wife and a working mom with a dog and a sweet family and a neighborhood and a book club and a Bible study and a messy house and friendships and did I mention work and a messy house?
Sound familiar?
So it's not terribly surprising that my eating habits have been carved out of a need for speed, rather than nutrition. 
 Here's my solution - No Excuses:

Everything is accessible.
These little Ziploc snack bags are the perfect size.  When I go to the grocery store, I  buy the larger bag of baby carrots, and whatever other fruits or vegetables we're feelin'. 


 The key is to do the separating either immediately when I get home from the store, or later that night after The Redhead goes to bed.  I divvy everything up into the snack bags, and pop them in an easy-to-access spot in the fridge.
 I usually have some string cheese stuck in here, too, but it appears I need to replenish our supply.  I keep the snack-packs of applesauce and yogurt nearby, too, also within easy reach.

So, when I'm running out to work in the morning, it's far easier to grab something healthy to drop in my bag, than it is to find the junk.  In fact, this system makes it harder to find an unhealthy snack!
It also helps me cut down waste because everything is right there in front of me... I don't discover the forgotten grapes rotting in the crisper because I was too busy to look.  And that saves money, and you know I'm a fan of that! :)

Happy Snacking!

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm one of your newest followers from the Friday Blog Hop! I would love if you could return the follow! Thank you so much!
    http://www.mrsgoldilocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran into your blog yesterday for some reason ... ottoman slipcover maybe? I have the same style ottoman given to me as a hand-me-down and it could really use a recover ... ANYWAY - just wanted to say thank you for this tip. It's a great reminder that I really ought to do this for my family... perhaps I'll get around to it... someday :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Im sure you save money getting the snacks in to bags and not letting them go bad like I do! Eeek! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete