Monday, October 3, 2011

It Doesn't Have to Be Orange to Be Fall..


 I love fall.  I love the feel of it, the warmth of it, the smell of it. 
I love decorating for fall.
But this year I struggled.  This year, I couldn't bring myself to decorate in rust and orange and brown.  At least not in the traditional sense.  I'm over it, and looking for a way to say "fall" with a little refinement and without screaming "pumpkin patch".
Now, I'm not hating on traditional fall.  Are they lovely colors?  You betcha.
Maybe I'll just blame the pregnancy, but for now I'm just craving change.  I wanted rustic, natural, and definitely FALL, but with a muted, soothing palette.
I decided to take cues from Nature, and started with these guys on my kitchen table:

Simple white pumpkins and bleached pinecones in a footed bowl.


I layered the seagrass charger/placemat over this fabric one, with rich golds and cool, sky blue.  The warm gold helps bring in the traditional colors without being over-the-top.

My Giant Mantle of Doom got seriously decluttered, broken up into a few smaller vignettes to break up the expanse of it all.  I added the empty black frame to serve as a center focal point and help draw the eye up, and also embrace the windows that I have such a love/hate decorating relationship with.

I kept the autumn details to a minimum - more white pumpkins, a 'slice' of tree stump/bark, and some birch logs..
..a raven and some seagrass in a birch sleeve.  I kept my reclaimed wood frames, and I like how they blend in the space.

Here and there I added rustic touches, trying to keep things color-neutral and focusing on the textures.

Rather than scarecrows and orange pumpkins, I chose white and woven pumpkins and burlap pennants.

This guy got a makeover, and I am loving his new crisp, clean exterior!
[Before]

The end result is a mix of rustic textures and woodsy elements that has me smelling bonfires and crisp, fresh air every time I walk in the door.  And that makes me feel like Fall.

The bottom line is, do what makes YOU happy.  Decorate for the season in a way that evokes feeling within YOU, tradition be damned.
Because after all, it's your Home.  It doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for YOU.


Cheers,

9 comments:

  1. So chic, so classy! Love white pumpkins and I love all your other details too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this take on fall decorating! I get seriously overloaded on orange...so this is very refreshing. I will def take some of these ideas into my own decor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your untraditional fall decor. Who knew how cute white pumpkins could be? All the texture gets a chance to stand out when the colors are neutral.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love pumpkins for decor - beautiful :)

    I would like you to share your project at my linky party when you get a chance at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fresh and pretty! Love your fall decor! Visiting from My Repurposed Life. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin' it, and we are on the SAME PAGE. I think I'll follow you!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fresh approach. Strangely I ended up with white, yellowy green and some multicolored highlights, although I absolutely love orange, pink and the more rustier tones. Will be posting my fall decor tomorrow ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popped in from The Shabby Nest. I LOVE the color scheme on this. So elegant and cozy at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

    Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete