Thursday, November 10, 2011

Another IKEA APA Hack Idea




No matter how much space you have, it seems like [in our house, anyway] toy storage is always an issue.  
I thought when we finished the basement this problem would be solved since The Redhead had her own playroom.  But, all it really did was create a 'dumping ground' for the hoard of toys and games.  So, I'm constantly on the lookout for storage solutions.  But, since it's in a basement, I'm not too keen on spending a whole lot (but really, when am I ever? :) )

I found the above picture in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog - I loved the look, I loved the function (those wheels!).... didn't love the price tag ($299).  After staring at the box for a bit, I realized I/you/we can make this same storage piece for a fraction of a fraction of the cost!   

You in?
Sweet.
Start with the APA Storage Box from IKEA - a great deal at $14.99.
Ikea

 Here's what I ended up with after my first hack using the APA Box.... I stained the wood borders, then covered the white panels with fabric and added some nailhead trim.  Save a couple steps, this is a super similar process.


(I used Minwax's Dark Walnut to stain the wood pieces. )
From there for this project, rather than cover the pressed-board panels with fabric, just paint them your color of choice.  If you're going for an exact replica of the PBK toy box... well then, you'll choose red.:)
  Go ahead and assemble the box (minus the lid, again, if you're going for an exact match).

For the final details, you can find simple castors to screw into the bottom and metal hinges for the edges at your local hardware store for cheap.
For the lettering, simply paint your letters on and [lightly] distress the finish.  If you're not confident in your letter-painting skillz, just order your words in vinyl and call it good :)

 Either way, you're guaranteed to end up with a similar, equally functional version for about $40 or less... that's a pretty great margin considering the version below costs $299.
(Again, this picture is from PB - I haven't completed this hack yet.  Just to clarify :) )

 Happy Hacking!

Cheers,


14 comments:

  1. Love the trim on it! Great job, hiding all the toys is always a nightmare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love love love this!! Pinning immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful....great job! Found you at Katie's Nesting linky party.

    Would love for you to visit at
    http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good eye for a hack - now I have another reason to go to Ikea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cute! One of these days I need to make to into an Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello new coffee table in our play room!!! LOVE. You are so clever. Well done. So happy to have found this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great hack! $14.99? that's a great deal!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's the hack coming?? I want to see how it ended! This is such a great version of the Ikea chest. I had that one and lets just say it did NOT end up looking that cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, that is a great hack! Ikea here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. instead of hinges for the corners those look very similar to the "L" brackets I buy for small building projects. they can be stray painted with any metallic finish and stained over for a more authentic look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your version more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete