Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Little Green on the Scene...


I love Christmas.  For many, many reasons.  One of my favorite things this time of year is to snuggle up in our living room and read or watch tv, because once the Christmas decorations are up the atmosphere in there is so cozy.  This year, the ambiance is dialed up a notch because we decided to move the Christmas tree into the living room, instead of the front office.

 It required a little shuffling of some furniture, but I don't mind; when it's dark outside, The Redhead is snuggled in bed and I'm curled up with peppermint hot chocolate and a lit Christmas tree, I am comfortable and content. :)


And now, the stockings are hung (yes, even Newman gets a stocking :) )... and the giant Mantle O'Doom is decked out for the Holidays.


(Sorry for the dark and crappy, crappy pic... the weather has been exceptionally gray lately and those windows are a pain in the kiester to photograph)


In years past, I've had to put together 2 strands of garland to reach across that sucker.  I love bay leaf garland, and have used Pottery Barn's version for the last several years.  This year, though, I am just craving simple, light and FRESH.
I needed some serious GREEN.

I thought it would cost me an arm and a leg to do fresh greenery this year, but hold up!
Not so.  I was pleasantly surprised to find more than 20 FEET of fresh cedar garland at the hardware store for just $12!  Now I'm not sure if it's my pregnant spidey-sense of smell or what, but I have to tell you the fragrance. is. Heavenly! Crisp and fresh.  Love!
I left a lot of my everyday decor in place, then added some touches to "Christmas it up".  I started with some [faux] pomegranate in my big hurricane, some winter berries (that I forgot to take pictures of) and some mercury glass for a tiny bit of sparkle.
The garland was the perfect touch and that one roll I bought spanned the entire huge mantle with a lot to spare!
 So, the kitchen buffet got a little wintry touch...
...and I *still* had enough left over for a centerpiece for the island.  I just used a trophy vase I already had on hand and added some berries and cinnamon sticks for texture and natural color.

The old garland is hanging out in the office, decking out the dresser for Christmas.
Simple, classic, simple.
So far I'm liking the touch.

To continue with our natural and "recycled" theme, I threw together some star garland from twine and book pages to help "winter-up" my Alan Klug sailboat print.


And under the tree, we're simplifying once again... simple kraft paper on all the presents, and coordinating recycled ribbon and twine from the basement stash, with natural birch bark tags.



This year you can definitely say we're "Going Green" for Christmas! :)

 I am Newman V.  and I approve this holiday. 

Cheers,
  







5 comments:

  1. The Newman approval cracks me up! I may caucus for him, I'm tired of everyone else's recorded phone calls. :)

    And beautiful Christmas decor, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous decor! Thank you for sharing. I am your newest follower and I look forward to reading more of your posts! I would appreciate it if you took a moment to stop over at my blog and followed me back. Thank you! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your decorations and your dog is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooove all the greenery and i love that star garland- how clever is that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and crafty decorations and I love the pic in your header,the two Boys and their jerseys! Cute:) Im your newest follower,Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com stop over and chat sometime and follow me too:) P.S. Love the "MUG" on that pooch!

    ReplyDelete