Thursday, January 5, 2012

Upcycled Necklace: More Inspiration from Anthropologie

For quite a while now, Anthropologie has had the market cornered (for me, anyway) on taking a fresh new look on the classic pearl necklace.

I love the addition of the ribbon..


...and you can never go wrong with grosgrain.
 Not really pearls, but it still makes a statement.  So there.


One of my favorites from seasons past was the Bonheur Necklace:
I think the flowers are cute and help add a little bit of 'flair' - this necklace can go casual with a fitted blazer, tank and jeans, or could add a touch of whimsy to a cute party dress. 

Now I love pearls (and they're my birthstone, so yay), and think you can never go wrong with a single, classic strand.
But sometimes, you just gotta kick it up a notch.

So when I was doing some closet cleaning for our annual Goodwill donation,  found this sad, oversized strand of faux pearls that hadn't been slung around a neck in many moons.

The necklace was dated, too long, and just a bit blah.  But, taking some inspiration once again from Anthropologie, I made quick work of it and now have a fun Anthro-inspired piece of my own.

It took [literally] under 10 minutes - maybe 5 - to complete.

I took the pearls, this flower clip that I had tucked away for months and months, and some black grosgrain ribbon I had stashed in my ribbon scraps.



I took the pearls and folded the strand in half, twice, then simply tied the ribbon to each end to hold it together.

I made a nice, simple knot on one end, then used the flower to hide my handiwork on the other side.

Easy peasy - upcycled cuteness in under 10 minutes.  And for FREE!

You can find cute faux pearls anywhere for cheap - and who wouldn't want something cute like this in their stocking this year?  This could be a fun way to infuse some Handmade into your holiday this year.
Totally beats paying $100 for an Anthro. necklace, anyway. :)

Wonder what else I can find in my jewelry stash?

Cheers,

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I love how yours came out! I don't have spare faux pearls...but I will be on the lookout at the thrift store! I so want to make this!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-twenty.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure perfection! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty. I love how you can change up the flower too. Great ideas! I am so happy I found you from Not Just a Housewife! You have great taste. I host a party on Fridays and I'd love if you linked up!

    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/01/latest-and-greatest-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and I totally want to make one now! I would love for you to share this at our linky party!

    http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/01/fab-not-drab.html

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, SO cute! I love this! I'm usually not a pearl fan, but I would totally wear this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete