Monday, February 20, 2012

Laundry Room SOS: Before & After

So over the past couple of weeks, this room just GOT to me.
Has that ever happened to you before?  Something you don't really notice day in and day out all of a sudden whaps you in the face and you just can't handle it anymore?

Welcome to my Laundry Room.



It's a good-sized laundry room, but doesn't have a sink or counter space (BOOO) and isn't *quite* big enough to function as a true mudroom.  That has always irked me because it's in the prime position to *serve* as a mudroom.
When you come into the house from the garage (which is what we do 99% of the time), this room is straight ahead.

And Good Lord Almighty, this is what you would see:




And much to my mother's chagrin, this is on a semi-tidy day.  OY.

The Laundry Room sent out an official SOS and I got down to business.
A recent IKEA trip scored the biggest difference-making element: something to corral 9,000 shoes and still save space.
So after a week of painting trim, filling wall holes, moving crap around - and OUT - I am finally breathing a little easier with this room:


I started with the Hemnes Shoe Cabinet from IKEA.  That solved the top two items on my "this room is driving me batty" list - the mounting pile of shoes that kept creeping all over the floor, and the lack of space to move around in.
I moved Newman's food out of this room and around the corner to make space for the cabinet.  The cabinet's narrow design makes the room feel SO much larger!

I moved the chewies and treats we give Newman daily down into some pretty containers at a more accessible level.  This took some clutter off the shelving over the appliances, and made them easier for all of us to get to.  Newman approves.
I painted the "V" that had hung on the opposite wall a warm grey, and added a couple frames I already had with The Redhead's artwork with it for a pop of color on the wall.  Who says laundry rooms can't be cute, too? :)

I got rid of the row of hooks on the opposite wall, and added two of these Schoolhouse Numbered Hooks from Pottery Barn to the small wall.  They are adorable with the numbers on them, and they don't stick out so far that we can't shut the door if we needed to (we never do, though).  They're the perfect size and height for coats and backpacks for small people. :)

The shelving is still a work in progress, but having just cleaned out the CLUTTER has made a ginormous difference.  The wall space where the dustbuster is mounted is just screaming for some wall organization, but I want to think through functionality before I add anything just yet.  There's definitely more that needs to be done here, but for now I'm just so happy with the PROGRESS I can hardly stand it!



Ahhhhhh, Sweet Organization.
Makes me happy every time.  :)

Cheers,

Pin It

Metamorphosis Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday 
Catch as Catch Can 

21 comments:

  1. Niiiiiiiice! Does the shoe holder hold lots of shoes? I wanted one, but somehow we seem to have a crap ton of shoes that can't find their way home on a daily basis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each drawer can hold 2 pair of running shoes, or you can stack "flatter" shoes up to 4-pair per drawer. The bottom right drawer there is holding 8 pairs of flip-flops, though! :)

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring!!! My laundry room could definitely use a pick-me-up....or maybe just a pick-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like what you did here...awesome shoe holder. Hop over today, because you have been featured at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY...please feel free to grab my starfish featured button for your blog.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by via The Nester. Was just feeling the same way about my laundry room today. AND went to Ikea to get some stuff to tame it. But, no luck. I'll have to live vicariously through you. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this room makes you happy! it looks great! for some reason i am happier if my laundry room is organized....I guess because to be organized all the other big rooms (kitchen, family rooms) have to be clean too!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good - makes any chore a little easier :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really nice!!!

    I love these "before and after" post!!

    http://lacasitadmaria.blogspot.com/

    maría from spain

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really great, I too have disorganized laundry room woes. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow.
    (what else to say???)


    I am actually coming to your site re. the FOLLOWER linky blog hop, and am following you ! :-) Will you follow me back?? Thank you so much when you do.

    PLUS: There is also a party on our blog, where you can feature 'your best creative work'. There are some great projects to see already, but we want to see your work!

    Anyhow, use this link both to FOLLOW and to PARTY:
    http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party/

    Hope to seeing you around!!
    Have a happy, creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Love the before and after pictures. Very nice. I need to do something in the laundry room. Big time.

    Oh, well, I'm following you now and would love to have you come visit jy blog and follow me also. THanks. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your before photos. Very funny! I'm glad Newman approves. It's important, you know? It looks awesome - congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! I'm actually working on organization myself right now. OH, and I can relate with the "classy" stray dog food, haha.

    BTW I'm stopping by from A Bowl Full of Lemons and am your newest follower. If you have time I'd love for you to stop over at Adventures of Our Fami-Ly and take a look at my blog.

    Have a great weekend,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you find that letter V? I have been searching for the perfect one and can't find one...I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The V is from Hobby Lobby - usually you can find them on an end cap in the home accessories section. They're originally painted a gold color that looks like it's been sponge painted.. kind of weird. The original price is $10 but if it's not on sale, WAIT! They pretty regularly go on 50% off sale, which is when I bought mine. $5 ain't bad ;)

      Good Luck!
      Emily

      Delete
  14. Stopping over from Skip to my Lou linky party. Great transformation, well done!

    Kelly @ herringbone lane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome redo! I love seeing great transformations like this. Make it feel like possible to organize the madness that we all live with at some point. I just finished my pantry and now I am moving on to the coat closet... good luck me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    I am looking for inspiration to redo my laundry room too. Have you considered removing the door? It's something I'm thinking about... we never shut it, but I hit it when I carry in my laundry! Thrifty Decor Chick did a post about her removal of doors in her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've thought about it, but we're fortunate that when it's open it's really not in the way. PLUS, I can hang a stepstool on the wall behind the door and it's perfectly hidden.

      I really like the feel of an open doorway, but I'm also maybe a little lazy and didn't want to have to figure out how to mask the holes from the hinges :)
      Good Luck with your LR makeover!

      Emily

      Delete
  17. Well done! My laundry room seems to go between cycles of "dirty laundry explosion" and "I can't take it anymore, everything is going OUT". The clean and tidy option is so much better, isn't it? Thanks for linking up to my Room Evolution Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, very informative thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete