Thursday, February 9, 2012

Office Wall Update

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you feel like you are so busy you can't see straight... but you have nothing to show for it?
Egads, that's my life right now.  I'm in the middle of 18 projects, and don't have anything complete to show you on any of 'em.  Well, almost.
I'm doing my best to get through that punch list, but for now I have some progress on the nekkid wall in our office.

Slowly  but surely, things are coming together.
After updating the primary wall with the storage/buffet and the Gallery Wall, you'll remember this spectacular wall just off to the right:

How blessedly... boring. (And randomly messy!  Yeesh)
 Since this picture, we've gotten rid of the desktop computer, which has opened up enough space that I can keep my sewing machine out, and actually use this surface, which is nice.
For the wall, I started by adding my Nailhead Trim Corkboard.

I didn't want the corkboard all centered up over the desk, though, and I needed something to balance it out.  Something somewhat substantial, but not heavy.  And preferably with a little storage.
But I'm kind of over floating shelves.
I kept going back to these metal locker-style "wall pockets" from Ballard - I was planning on getting two, and hanging them vertically, one right over the other.

I also liked these wire wall baskets from PB but thought they may be too "cottage" for this room.

I wasn't jazzed about the price of either ($35 ea. and $24 ea., respectively), but was ready to pull the trigger at Ballard when I had a religious experience at TJ Maxx, of all places.

I found exactly what I was looking for - right style, right size, right color... for $12.


I'm pretty sure it was fate.  Or destiny.  or me fulfilling a fate-filled destiny.
I don't know, all I know is that in seeing it was the only one on the shelf, I whipped that thing into my cart so fast all that was left was a vapor outline of where the basket used to be.
I may have even squealed a little.  Don't judge me.


So, back at the house I got things up on the wall, and wouldn't you know I'm pleased as punch with how it turned out.  I have a place for tools and fabric and odds and ends, but can still maintain a clear workspace on the table top.
 
That's my sewing machine in the center (sporting a dust cover I made from a leftover scrap of drop cloth, natch), and the Cricut on the right.  Believe it or not, *that* cover is actually the liner that came with a magazine basket that is currently hanging out in the basement.  Go figure it fit just perfect over the Cricut.

We decided to leave the printer/scanner hooked up (over on the left) so when we do need to use it, we can just plug in the laptop easily and use the desktop for that work.

For review - Before:



After:



It's not a major change, but considering this room (and this wall) is basically one of the first, if not THE first thing you see when you walk through our front door, it makes me breathe a sign of relief to know it's not a giant messy drop-station anymore.

We added the drop cloth curtains that used to hang in my living room to the opposite wall in the office, and I love them there.
Now I just need to find a home for a few odds and ends, then get my hiney in gear painting the trim and this room Will. Be. DONE!  Can I get a Woo-Hoo? :)

Cheers,

Pin It

Sundae Scoop


Metamorphosis Monday
Project Parade 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday 
Catch as Catch Can 

25 comments:

  1. Love those $12 baskets! What a great find! Your space looks super cute. Good job! Thanks for sharing.

    ~Jess @ makingoverthemartins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so jealous
    of those baskets!

    new follower
    via GFC and Linky Followers

    i hope you'll take a moment
    to visit me too!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those baskets are amazing! Love the whole look! I Found you on Linky and followed!! Hope you like me enough to follow back!! Stop by soon!

    http://4jeanniemaries.blogspot.com/2012/02/finished-project.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wire baskets! I have been trying to find some and have had zero luck! I am your newest follower through Linky Followers! Love your blog!! Hope you can stop by!

    <3 Michelle

    nestlovedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you found that at TJ Maxx..I want one!! Just stopping by from the Linky Party Hop. I hope you will visit www.laughterandgrace.com and follow back.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to find your blog through the Linky blog hop. I'm now a follower on Linky. Hope you can come check out my site, http://www.eccentricleopard.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .I am now following you on Linky follower. I would love to have you follow me back.I always enjoy meeting new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popping in to say Hi--following the new Linky Follow tool. I hope you will come by ItsSoVeryCheri.com and follow me as well.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you via the Linky hop and have become your newest Linky follower. Look forward to reading your future posts. Hope you have a chance to visit and perhaps follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new office wall!! Happy to find your blog through the Linky Blog Hop! I'm a new Linky Follower! Hope you can swing by and visit me at www.dusty-mcrae.blogspot.com if you have a free moment. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from the Linky Follower Party Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love that basket. How handy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily I love how it looks. Those baskets are just what I need. I am also in the process of updating a room, and my office area is now in there. I cant believe you found them for 12 bucks I am on the lookout for something like that for the wall right along side of my desk.
    Take care!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so need to get stuff on my walls! I'd love you to add this to my What We Wore and Made link party

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, some small changes made a big difference. Where did you get the $12 basket? I really like it. I am a new follower visiting from House of Hepworths.
    Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  16. Squeal??? I would have sounded like the Geico pig! I am soo going to TJ's tomorrow, but I'm sure they won't have one...or three...

    ReplyDelete
  17. GREAT find! I would have danced a little jig as well! I love the basket, it balances perfectly with the frame. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a total blank wall over my little desk area, this would be perfect. I just pinned it. I have been linky followers blog hopping for two days and I am loving it. I have met so many amazing and talented people like you. I am now following you on linky and would love a follow back.

    My Turn (for us)
    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com

    Thanks, I so enjoyed the visit

    ReplyDelete
  19. but what a nice and useful change!! looks great!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW Great finds and transformation!!

    Thank you so very much for participating in the blog hop, Emily! Wishing you the very best in your bloggy endeavors! New follower. Cheers!

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found a triple version of your basket at Marshall's last week! I was so tickled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon that is awesome! It's so cute, right? You'll have to share pictures of where you put it! :)

      Delete
  22. I found one like that at our TJ Maxx too, only it had 3 baskets & cost $19.99. I had to have it & it now hangs proudly in my office :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a great little sight to see when you walk in! sure beats what my guests see. :)
    I'm loving how it's all coming together.
    gail

    ReplyDelete