Monday, April 2, 2012

Cure for What Ails Ya: Bathroom Makeover

Hi there!  No baby yet.  Just wanted to get that out there.  :)


So I've come to realize that my thought process just doesn't work like most [rational] people.

A few weeks ago, I was home sick from work.  We quickly deduced that it was definitely something I ate, since in between intermittent hurling episodes, I felt just fine.
Thing was, I really couldn't leave the bathroom (sorry for that visual).
Most people's stories would go something like "I upchucked in the bathroom all day long."
Me? Not so much.
Here's how my brain finishes that sentence:
"I upchucked in the bathroom all day long so I decided to redecorate it."

So... that's how it started.


This guest bathroom upstairs has always been a bit of an afterthought for me, though that doesn't make any sense.  You would think since it's the bathroom more or less designated for Guests (and my kids) that I'd put a little more thought into things.
Again, told you I wasn't real normal. :)

Here's what it looked like when we moved in almost 5 years ago:

The paint was leftover from another room (I just wanted *something* on the walls),
and the blah accessories were equally random.

After a couple years, I tried a little bit, updating some of the accessories and colors.
The picture below showcases the stunning builder mirror, ugly faucet and standard builder vanity.
Sorry, but this is beyond helping with just accessories.



I wanted a serene color palette and some architectural interest.
I wanted some texture, and to get rid of that overall "builder standard" feeling
that the room just emanates.


(and sorry for the lighting in all these pics... it's, um a bathroom.  With zero natural light. So use your imagination a little, will ya? :) 

The result:

It still needs a few finishing touches (wall art or maybe a train rack on the wall over the stool, new shower curtain, etc.),
but overall I feel like it's a major improvement!

There are several different things to talk about in this room, so I'm going to break it up so you don't have to read the world's longest post.
I'll be back with more specifics on what I did, but for now, enjoy this plethora of self-indulgent pictures, would you? :)







Cheers,


 



13 comments:

  1. Ummm, seriously? Can you come re-do our guest bath for me now? Please? Pretty please?
    Anyway, it looks amazing - great job, beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful job! it looks so much more up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it totally gorgeous I love the dark color you chose for cabinets!I wanna trim out our mirrors but was it hard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Comeca! No, framing the mirror is absolutely NOT hard! We did it in less than a weekend, and it only took more than one day because we had to wait for paint and adhesive to dry. I'll have a tutorial coming up on Monday.

      Thanks for the nice compliments!
      Have a great weekend!
      Emily

      Delete
  4. It looks fantastic! I love the darker cabinets and the beadboard! The accessories are just perfect. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really loving the updates.

      Happy Friday!
      Emily

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous! I really like all the beach themed accessories. The bead board and the towel hooks are really pretty. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fantastic! I love the towels and the hooks that you chose. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving that after picture! Isn't if funny how we put things off, but then they make us smile when we're done?
    great job!
    gail
    thanks for sharing at catch as catch can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job, Emily - so many awesome details. Love the beachy vibe, towel hooks, beautiful new color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the coastal decor. SO cute! The makeover is great! Thanks for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete