Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Organic Start to Spring

This post brought to you by Whitney Farms. All opinions are 100% mine.

Spring started waaay early in Iowa this year - we had 70/80-degree temperatures in MARCH, people!

So, naturally, the bug to get moving on sprucing up our outdoor areas has bitten early, too.

This year we have some landscaping to add, and I have some transplant plants that I got close to the end of the season last year that are going to need a little TLC.  Up until now, my gardening adventures have revolved exclusively around flowers.  But this year, I might be giving something else a try.

I've been TOYING with giving a "real" garden a go. 

Like a "hey let's make a salad from our garden" kind of real garden.

Am I crazy? 

I've been thinking about trying a small container garden, with just a few things like carrots, potatoes, lettuce and garlic.

Something like this:

I like that it's simple, still cute, and I can use pots I already have rather than having to build some permenant monstrosity in the yard.

The soil where we live is awful. It’s extremely alkaline and you have to do a lot to it to make it suitable for growing food.  Knowing that I'll have to add to it, and that we'd be eating the bounty,  I'd like to try using only organic nutrients.

Whitney-Farms-Logo_Banner_New_C.jpg (6 documents, 6 total pages)

Now, prior to this little revelation I had never heard of Whitney Farms® but it is a very accessible brand to most families since it’s part of the Scott family. I didn’t know they had an organic gardening line.

Organic Plant Food

I think it's important, when you're growing FOOD, of all things, to use organic soil and organic plant food.  There are so many synthetic chemicals in the food we eat, I feel like here's one way to help cut down on that. I’m hoping that by using organic nutrients, like the ones offered by Whitney Farms, we’ll have a flourishing garden full of lovely veggies by fall.

If you want to try out Whitney Farms, they currently have a $3 off coupon on their website.

Advertisement

 

Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Post a Comment