Monday, June 18, 2012

V Side Favorites: Beneath My Heart

Hey Folks!  I'm back with the last of my "V Side Favorites" guest blogger series!
Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to Traci from Beneath My Heart.
When I found Traci's blog, I was immediately drawn to her weekly feature "Wednesdays with Wanda."  In those columns, Traci shared life lessons on everything from faith and family to recipes, decorating and good living - lessons learned from her dear mom, Wanda, whom she lost a few years ago.  I was touched by Traci's love for her mom, and found myself going back for more.  And more. 
And soon I discovered that Traci and I have a lot of the same tastes in common, though she and her husband take DIY to a whole new level!
I hope you enjoy!
Thanks, Traci, for stopping by - take it away! :)

Hello!

My name is Traci, and I blog at Beneath My Heart!

bmhcollage

I am so excited to be guest posting on Emily’s blog today!
 I wanted to share with you a little project I completed a while back, but I still love very much.

IMG_3954_thumb[2]

I was need a tablecloth for the table in our guest house at our previous home.

I found what I wanted in my favorite inspiration spot…the Ballard Designs catalog.


It is a burlap tablecloth with jute trim and sells for $85.00.

Of course I said, “Why buy it, when I can make it?” So I went to Hobby Lobby and got 4 1/2 yards of burlap. I like their burlap because it is a softer, smoother material, and it doesn’t stink like most burlap. :) Their burlap was on sale for $1.99 a yard, so it cost me only $9.00.
IMG_3740
And here is the table I was going to use. It was a small patio table that Mom and Dad had on their back porch. Since I was covering it with a tablecloth, it didn’t matter what it looked like underneath! And it was the perfect size. (And price…FREE!)
Here’s how I measured it:
IMG_4014
(Do not laugh at my drawing! I just really thought you would need to see this part if you wanted to make your own tablecloth. You would just use the measurements of the table you were using, not mine, of course.)
That is a total length of 94 inches. My burlap was 45 inches wide. So I folded it over lengthwise 47 inches (half of the 94 inches I needed.) I did that TWICE, so I would have two identical pieces.
IMG_3931
Then I took one of those pieces and cut it right down the middle.
IMG_3932
I laid the two smaller pieces on both sides of the larger piece. I unfolded them to show you what it would look like.
IMG_3933
Then I sewed each of the two smaller pieces to each side of the whole piece.
Ladies, I didn’t even pin the pieces together! I just held the pieces together on the sewing machine and sewed a straight stitch all the way down. The burlap did well this way. I wouldn’t be able to do that with every fabric. And I wasn’t worried if the ends matched up perfectly because I knew I would be trimming it and adding fringe.
IMG_3934
(The reason you add two smaller pieces to the side is so that you don’t have a seam running down the middle of the top of your table. Doing it this way keeps the seams on the sides of the table.)
Now, we are almost finished. You need to fold this entire piece in half (from top to bottom). IMG_3936
Then fold it in half again, just like folding a piece of paper (from side to side). IMG_3937
Since the total length of my tablecloth was 94 inches, I needed to take half that amount to measure where I was going to cut the material, which was 47 inches. Since I couldn’t find my sewing tape measure, I used my husband’s metal tape measure to cut a string 47 inches long. My oldest son helped me with this part. He held the string at the top corner of the material, as I measured. IMG_3949
Then I drew a line from one side to the other to show where to cut. IMG_3950
IMG_3952
(My son told me I should leave the scissors on the material to show you guys that I cut it with them. How cute is that?)
The angle at which I took this picture makes the right side look long than the other side, but they are both 47 inches long. Then I put it on the table to see if it worked. (I was doubting myself a little at this point.) But it DID!
IMG_3954
I still needed to add some fringe to the bottom. I found some at Hobby Lobby that I loved, but even with the 40% off coupon, it was still pretty pricey. So I am on the hunt for a bargain, or a homemade version.
But even without the trim, I am very pleased with the results.
IMG_3990
It created a great spot for our guests to eat! IMG_3984
The two black chairs on each side of the table were purchased at Goodwill for $30.00. They looked like this when I bought them…
March 2009 162
And after I re-did them, they looked like this..chairs 019You can read about that project HERE.
Thanks for letting me share this little project with you!
Blessings,

Check out Beneath My Heart to check on the progress of Traci's latest project, adding an entire 2nd story to the fixer-upper they recently purchased on an acerage. Her kitchen reno alone is amazing!
Thanks Traci for stopping by The V Side!


Cheers,
 

1 comment: