Thursday, August 30, 2012

Keepin' It Fresh [avoiding musty laundry]


Have you ever grabbed what you thought was a freshly laundered towel when you step out of the shower, only to find it smelled like it needed washing?
I couldn't figure out why in the world my towels were starting to smell musty... the day AFTER I washed them!
It was driving me crazy.  But never fear - there's a solution.
The smell comes from mildew that can build up in your washer.  Then it gets transferred to your laundry.
It's most noticeable in towels because they are absorbent, for one, and two they are wet on regular basis.
[Well, I assume they're wet on a regular basis.  Unless you're averse to bathing.  In which case, this tutorial doesn't apply to you.  Carry on! ;) ]


Here's the fix, y'all...
I'm sure there are products out there that you can buy that will have the same effect, but for me the answer is simple [and usually sitting in my pantry]:
Vinegar.

Yep, just regular old white vinegar.  You don't even have to use the name-brand :)

And no, your laundry won't smell like vinegar.
At all.

The first step is to run the "clean washer" cycle on your washer.
 This will keep the odor from coming back.


Once that's done, throw your musty-fied  towels in on the hottest setting.


For this cycle, don't use detergent - just add one or two cups of vinegar (depending on the size of your load).
I pour it in the spout for detergent so it's released evenly in the cycle
Leave them in the washer and run it a second time, this time with your detergent of choice.




When the load is done, either toss them in the dryer or line-dry them, but whatever you do, make sure they are *thoroughly* dried before you fold them up and put them away.
From there on out, each time you wash your towels, toss in a cup of vinegar (with the detergent, this time) to keep the mildew a mil-don't (ha!  Sorry, I can't help the cheese.  That's punny. :) )


Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest


Catch as Catch Can
a2z
nifty thrifty tuesday

1 comment:

  1. You know what...i have been having the same problems as well! I will try it out and hope it works for me :) Thanks for sharing your tip!

    ReplyDelete