Monday, August 6, 2012

Look Ma, No Paint! [Master Bedroom Makeover]



Up until now, every room redo I've ever done has involved an updated - or sometimes first - coat of paint.  Walls, furniture, frames... SOMETHING was always painted.
And I stand by my belief that paint is the easiest and often most cost-effective way to make a big impact in a room.
Today, though, I have a room update that I didn't even realize until I finished - is entirely paint-free!

I kind of need a moment to wrap my brain around that.

.
.
.

Our master bedroom needed some help.
Like a lot of people's, our room was pretty neglected.  Even though the bedroom is where you spend a good chunk of time and it's your own private space, it's the last room to receive any attention because no one really goes in there except you, right?
My room was looking a little sad.

It was feeling dark and a little heavy, but I didn't know what I wanted to do.
I liked all the elements in the room, but I just wasn't feeling them together.

I enjoyed the warm camel/gold on the walls, but with the dark bedding, it was starting to feel like the walls were closing in.
I chose our chocolate pinstripe duvet when we first moved into the house.
I wanted something fairly neutral, classic, and not too girly, since it's a shared space with Mr.V.


At the time, this fit the bill.


But then I didn't really do anything else with the room.
I didn't *hate* the look, but I wasn't in love with it.  I didn't want to do anything else based on the current color scheme because I didn't know how long it would stay.
Then, the duvet started to fade quite a bit on one side of the bed, from all the light that came pouring in from the window.  So, change was afoot.


Then I spotted this pillow cover on sale at Pottery Barn and I got a jolt of design-induced lightening:
Photo: Pottery Barn

It's normally not a pattern I would be drawn to, but I kept going back to it.
I finally figured out, it was the color scheme that I liked.
The blue was soft and soothing without being 'baby blue', and the gold was the exact shade of my master bedroom walls.
And that's what started it all.
Here's the change this one pillow led to:



 I didn't paint a thing.
AND, I love it!




I'll have another post to talk about why I chose some of the things I did, and where I found stuff if people are even interested in that.
 But for now, I'm just gonna bat my eyes for a bit and flirt a little with my new bedroom because I'm in LOVE. :)


So, Before:

Sad.

After:
Happy! :)





Follow Me on Pinterest


Cheers,
 

Catch as Catch Can
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
A2Z

14 comments:

  1. Your bedroom is so pretty! Such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful makeover at my party today.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you really created a wow factor in this room. You made some good decisions that made a big impact and I agree the wall color looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I L-O-ve how you used something you were attracted to for a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty bedroom! I love the pillows and the mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new bedroom looks great and seriously....it really DOES look like you painted just from the brighter accessories.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and I'm your newest follower too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bedroom looks amazing! Love the pillows, the mirrors, and the footstool! Gotta get me one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good! I love the lighter, airy colors on the bed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it changed the feel of the whole room! Looks so much more inviting now - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that Pottery Barn fabric and I actually cried. Not kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very fun! It's crazy how changing out so many things can appear to change the wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from Thrifty Decor Chick! I'm glad you pointed out that you didn't paint anything, because it really looks like you did! The whole space just feels so much brighter with the new bedding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really brightened it up with the change in bedding! Love the mirror and the less is more kind of vibe you have going on!

    ReplyDelete