Monday, October 8, 2012

A Fresh Look with Painted Trim


  

For the past year, I've been systematically updating the trim in our house.
When we built, there was a miscommunication with our builder, and instead of the rich, warm white painted trim we wanted, we got a builder basic blonde stain.
We weren't happy.
Instead of owning up to the problem, the builder said they'd be happy to fix it... for just a couple thousand dollars.  Say What?!.
Long story short, after all the other things surrounding our builder at the time (they're now out of business) we (I) muttered  a bunch of curse words under my breath,
and agreed we would just live with it. I knew it was something we could do on our own down the road.
When we finished our basement a year and a half ago, we did the trim how we had wanted the whole house.
I loved it so much and I knew that I was done "living with it."
I also knew that taking on two floors and 2,000+ square feet of trim was a HUGE task, so I decided to bite off small parts at a time, and simply update a room here, a room there, eventually completing the whole house.

I started with The Redhead's Room - I figured I was doing that room from top to bottom, so I might as well start on the ground floor.

From there I did the Kitchen,  Laundry Room, then updated CB's Nursery, the upstairs bathroom, the Landing, etc.























And now, save the Master Bedroom + Bath, I'm pretty much finished! 
It's been time-consuming for sure, but I've been able to work at my own pace, and the payoff has been so worth it for me!  I really, really love the changes, and how light and bright things feel!


The fresh trim is such a small element, but it makes a big impact on the overall room!


The last couple times I've mentioned updating trim in a post, I've gotten one or two emails from people requesting details about the color and product I've used.
If you're interested, here you go:

It's a custom color from Sherwin Williams, from the ProClassic line.
Here's the color formula:


Funny how much a little paint can brighten up a room!

Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. Great job! That's on my to do list. Not for changing the color but for sanding and repainting where the paint has been scratched off. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Coastal Charm. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-18.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, You did a fantastic job. The white trim definitely brightens a room and makes it looks so fresh and clean. I'm sure you're just loving all you've accomplished.
    I''m a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new trim colour looks so fresh in your photos. That is a great way to handle a job that could seem overwhelming, one part at a time. We have white trim, but I have been going room to room freshening it as our home is now 14 years old and needs touch ups now and then. I have found that the white the builder used has yellowed over time, but the white we started adding almost 10 years ago is still white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing the same at our house. We had white walls and dark brown oak trim everywhere - I'm still not 100% done, but getting closer. Room by room - we will get there! :) My husband kids me that I've painted (and repainted - I'm notoriously fussy) every square foot of our house. Isn't it great to see progress?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi looks great....would love it if you would join my Welcome Home Wednesday party at www.vintageonadime.com. Thank Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true...I recently started painting the doors and trim in my hallway and what a difference! You have a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a huge difference. I will be featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing! You have so much more patience than I do! Come and paint my trim? How did you paint over the carpet? I tried to do that in my sons room and it just looks terrible. :( But yours looks awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete