Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Inspired in the Garden

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Miracle-Gro. All opinions are 100% mine.

 

Gardening is intimidating for me.  I’m slowly but surely learning how not to kill my landscaping, but it wasn’t too terribly long ago that I could barely keep a houseplant alive.  True story – ask my mom.  : )   So even though I’ve talked a big game about doing a vegetable garden before, in truth the whole idea of having one of my own feels a little out of my league.

Lately, however, I've been giving it a little more thought.

This little love monkey is starting solid foods

(sorry for the blurry iphone pic)

And it has me thinking more and more about where our food comes from.

We’ve started buying a portion of a cow each year, so we can feel better knowing exactly where our meat comes from and what kind of hormones are used in the beef we’re eating (having girls, this always sits in the back of my mind).

We’re trying so hard to instill healthy eating habits in our kids from the get-go that for nearly every item I pick up, I'm checking the label to read where it came from, what ingredients are in there, whether there's MSG or other preservatives in it, etc.

With produce, it can be downright scary thinking about the amount of pesticide I’ve ingested over the last two decades (though for some people, this would explain so much about me… ;) ).

Of course getting everything organic seems like the easy solution, but it is SO much more expensive here.

I know a few people who have their own vegetable gardens and that seems to work really well for them. It's nice that they can go into their backyards and pull everything they need for a salad. Whether it’s herbs or peppers, they have everything fresh, organic, and right at their fingertips.

MG_Flower_Veg_Garden_Soil.jpg
To that end, I was recently introduced to a cool site powered by Home Depot and Miracle-Gro called the Gardenieres.

(1) Miracle-Gro

Led by Master Gardener William Moss and his handpicked team of “Gardenieres,” this site gathers together real-life experts from all over the country inspiring people to get out and garden this fall. You can check out this site or their YouTube channel for all kinds of helpful videos based on their own gardening experiences. You can also chat with them on the Miracle-Gro Facebook page if you have any questions or come up against some unique challenges in your gardening project.

They even have videos available to help the garden-challenged folks like me!



Hmm.  Maybe one of these days I’ll finally end up putting my money where my mouth is?  : )

Advertisement

Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Post a Comment