Thursday, January 31, 2013

Guest Room Redo - Before & After

 
It's time! :)
It's been a long time coming--I am pretty sure I started this room when I was still pregnant--but the Guest Room is finally done!

Here's how it looked before:




No paint on the walls, another room that was kind of a hodge podge of items from Mr. V and my collective pasts.  There was nothing offensively ugly or anything... just....blah.  It needed some freshening up and some color.
After all, if we wanted people to actually stay there, it should be inviting, right?  ;)


Here's the after:


Fun, right?
The color is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey.  It's a light and airy grey with a bit more blue undertone than the Mindful Grey I used in the guest bathroom.  I'm not really a huge fan of blue on walls in general and tend to steer away from blue-greys, but in this room this shade really works perfectly with Blue Betty up against the wall.
I have been in a yellow state of mind for the past 6 months and I think it's the perfect, cheery color for a guest room.  Since I knew I was going grey on the walls, though, I was wary of doing yellow.  The yellow/grey combo was so popular this past year, and I really was shooting for timeless, not trendy.

This bedding really spoke to me, and I deliberately chose the quilt and shams because the toile pattern gave it a very rustic feel - just the opposite of the modern design that has been trending.

 To avoid the bed looking like a sea of yellow pattern, I broke up the color with a crisp white duvet and a simple white sham with yellow detail.  I am still working on accent pillows for this bed - just haven't found the perfect combination of patterns just yet. 

I swapped out the slightly contemporary headboard/footboard for this simple metal headboard with a vintage farmhouse feel.

Blue Betty is holding court against the wall and still needs some real accessorizing, but I have to think about that one for a bit.

I know I need to update that mirror, but it will probably have to go back on the wall... I think it's a little too big for a leaner on Betty.


In the opposite corner is  one of my made-over dining chairs.  This is where it lives when we don't have the leaves in the table downstairs.  It's mate is chilling out in the basement.


I added the rug at the end of the bed for a little grounding with the black, but also to introduce a graphic contrast to the toile in the quilt.  It helps keep the bedding from reading too feminine or "old."


I am still trying to figure out what to do with this blank wall opposite the bed.


Right now I'm in the "sit on the bed and stare at it" phase...we'll see if any inspiration whacks me upside the head.
 
Sources:
Walls: Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey
Headboard: Target
Blue Dresser ("Betty" ;) ): Antique via craigslist
Lamp: Found in my basement, new shade from Target
Curtains: Pier 1
Bedside stool: Gordman's
Rug: Pottery Barn clearance
Bedding/Pillows: IKEA, Pottery Barn, Target, Etsy


Overall I am really happy with the room.
It's still a work in progress so I know there will be changes coming, but for now I think at least it is a marked improvement over the "before!"

Hopefully our guests agree! :)



Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

33 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I'm really smitten with the grey walls and the pops of yellow. Just the dose of spring that I'm needing right now. Maybe I should add some yellow accents to some of my home to perk things up amid the winter blahs... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great makeover! The yellow is very inviting, your guests may now not leave :) PS LOVE the blue dresser find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily! What a transformation! You did an awesome job in here. The Agreeable Gray looks perfect. I'd love to feature this paint color. Let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out amazing! I love the black accents and am definitely a fan of the bedding. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new to your blog and loving it! Newest follower :)

    This room is gorgeous. So bright and fresh!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love what you did with this room. I love the combination you used. I looked around your blog and now I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Anne, thanks for your sweet comment! Happy to have you here! :)

      Emily

      Delete
  7. I love yellow and it works beautifully here. Gorg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow is my favorite! This is so cheery and darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet guest room. I love the yellow, very inviting and that blue dresser is fantastic. Great before/after.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so cheerful and inviting! I love the combination of the blue and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love! You give me such inspiration for our guest bedroom, which is totally BLAH because we may have someone visit us and stay there maybe once a month. But this looks fabulous, great work!

    Chrissy
    www.everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I found you through the link party at Coastal Charm. Amazing update -- especially love the framed bunting... and the striped rug!

    Newest Follower,
    Katie
    SomethingToBeFound.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Welcome - glad you are here! :)

      Delete
  13. Great job on your makeover! The bedroom is so comfy and warm now. I like how you've used color, but it's not too vivid for a bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you did a fabulous job!! I love your colour combination and the beautiful banner. I'm your newest follower!
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! The banner was the simplest thing in the world - seriously! Cut triangles out of fabric scraps and I hot-glued them to jute twine. Then I just draped and hot-glued the ends of the twine to the inside of an open frame from Hobby Lobby. Seriously easy-peasy. Got it done in less than an episode of "Parks & Rec". ;)

      Delete
  15. I was drawn to your post by the charming blue and yellow, but what really caught my eye was ... Betty. I realized that I have the nightstand version, from what must be the very same line. I have bee thinking of painting her blue ... and now I know I must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! :) I didn't paint Betty, but a close color match is Sherwin Williams Freshwater (SW6774). Such a fun color!

      Delete
  16. This is really cute. I love the black and white stripe rug with the yellow bedding. I am hosting a link party and would love it if you would link up.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your fabulous makeover at A Crafty Soiree! I just love all the color! I'm featuring you this week, please come on by to see it and link up more of your crafty goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, so cute! It's amazing what a few bright colours can do to a room. I think my favourite part though is the bunting in the frame. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a happy relaxing space, Emily! I love your mix of textures and patterns. Great job! I'm including a link back in this week's highlights. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the yellow quilt... So cheery! Looks great with the bold black and white rug. :)

    Newest follower! Would love for you to follow back at toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blue and gray color scheme -- I actually just blogged about a blue, yellow and gray color scheme that I am thinking of using in my home office! (So far all I've done is put together an inspiration board, no painting yet!) Great room!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just ran across this post from the DIY Show Off link party. I LOVE how you redid this room. Great job, especially the toile bedspread and the banners above the bed.

    Missy Inspired
    http://missyinspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where did you get the blue pillow on the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! I found the pillow cover on Etsy - the seller was thislittlehome

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Emily

      Delete
  24. love love love it!!! sharing on FB and will be featuring it tomorrow! :)
    Thanks so much for linking up for Habitat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do I love this room or not??? YES!!!! What a cozy, comforting color selection and mix of patterns and textures! There isn't anything I don't like. The quilt is marvelous and your choice of a blue gray rather than a warm grey marries everything so happily.

    ReplyDelete