Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Home Goals for 2013



Well, it's a New Year.  And while I don’t make “Resolutions” per se, I do find that having a list of goals to work from does make me a bit more productive.

To that end, let’s take a look at what I set out to do in 2012.  I remember having very lofty goals…
..then THIS happened:



And, well… hmm.
“Lofty” goals, indeed.

First on the list is the downstairs bathroom. 

I wanted to add hardware to the vanity, frame or replace the mirror, replace the countertop and faucet, replace the fixtures (towel ring, etc.), refinish the vanity, and paint the trim.

I… painted the trim.

And that’s it.

The countertop is going to be the largest expense, so this year I’m committing to doing what I can to set aside some extra funds here and there for it.  I know what I want and I don’t want to settle, so instead of going cheaper for a lesser product, I’m just going to suck it up and save up, and try and be patient.

And that’s a long way of saying I really didn’t do squat in this room this year.
So, 0 for 1. 
What a sweet way to kick off a blog post, Emily!  ;)

Next up is the Kitchen.

I wanted to addhardware to the cabinets – Ha, Check!



And in my list I even said “daydream about refacing cabinets.” This one I’m really proud of, because I actually DID it! 



3 years ago when I really started seriously thinking about lightening up the cabinetry in the kitchen, I don’t know that I would have had the confidence to try and tackle this on my own.
But I did, thanks to a lot of great encouragement from you, lovely readers (you know who you are :) ) and I’m so super grateful because I love how they turned out!


The Laundry Room also made the list.


While a true makeover would require knocking down walls and adding onto the house for a spacious mudroom, I am pleased with the ‘before and after’ in this room.  And I’m happy to say that since this redo in February, we’ve been able to keep it clean and clutter-free for the most part. 
Every now and then you’ll find a bulky drying rack set up with wet snowblowing clothes or kids’ snowpants, but that’s not everyday. 
Generally, the organization setup really works for us and that makes me happy.

At the beginning of 2012 the Redhead’s bathroom
upstairs looked pretty much like this



And I made no secret of wanting to make it look as far from that ^^ as possible.

And really, when you’re 8+ months pregnant, what makes more sense than a bathroom makeover?  ;)
I said I wanted to paint the walls, paint the vanity, add hardware, frame the mirror, paint the trim and update the faucet.



This is probably my favorite part of that space.


Last on my list was updating the master closet.
It’s not worth even saying what I wanted to do to it because I’ll just let you know that it never even crossed my radar in 2012. 
Maybe next year. ;)

All in all, I’m batting about .500 on the “Home Goals 2012” list, which isn’t bad.
Here’s a look at what I’m going to attempt to take on in 2013…

Kitchen Makeover Part Deaux:
-          Add backsplash
-          Update Island
Right now it’s painted but I’d like a little more architectural detail.  You know, we gotta have a little flair. ;)  Here’s my inspiration:



Downstairs Bathroom
-          Do all the stuff I said I wanted to do last year. ;)

Master Closet
-          Add storage
-          Figure out some better [sustainable] organization

Basement Playroom
-          For this year I’d settle for simply making a plan.
I’d like to organize the closet a little better, but other than that, just a plan will suffice.
 :)

And there you have it!

Let’s see if I can improve my batting average a little in 2013!


Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment