Monday, January 28, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas (no, really!)





I’m a total armchair cook. 

I love Top Chef, but I’m nothing superior in the kitchen by a long shot.
It’s pretty rare that you’ll find recipes and such here On the V Side, so when you DO, you know they’re going to be SUPER SIMPLE – because hey man, if *I* can handle it?  So can that monkey over there.  ;)

For the past year or so Roasted Chickpeas have become my favorite go-to snack.

Weird?  Perhaps.
Delicious?  Healthy?  Satisfying?  YOU BET.

A 1/2 cup serving of chickpeas contains 130 calories, 6 g of fiber and 7 g of protein.
They are naturally fat-free, saturated fat-free, and sodium-free.

Here’s how to make ‘em:

I usually used canned chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) for the convenience.  I’ll make two cans at once, then just store the extra in a Ziploc bag for easy snacking.

(Note: you can use dry chickpeas, too, but prior to the below steps you’ll need to soak them in water for 2-3 hours, then boil them for about an hour.  Rinse, drain and pat dry)

Rinse and drain the beans, then lay them flat and pat dry.
 
Place in a pan/cookie sheet that has raised edges so they don’t roll all around. 

Drizzle a *small* amount of extra virgin olive oil or canola oil over top – seriously, I only use about a tablespoon--two, MAX.  I do the drizzling right in the pan, and then use a rubber spatula to make sure they’re pretty evenly coated.
There are a THOUSAND ways to season these, but I go simple.  I just grind sea salt and fresh pepper overtop, and if I’m feeling a little crazy I’ll add some minced garlic, or a dash of garlic powder if I’m in a rush.  Shake the pan a little to help get things coated.

Pop them in the over for 20 – 40 minutes at 400 degrees.  I like the outsides crispy, so I cook them for 40 minutes.  If you prefer them softer, cook for less time.

Cool…. And then eat!

 
That’s it!

The seasoning possibilities are endless – experiment until you find the right flavor profile for you!


Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I love roasted chickpeas!!! To add another simple twist try roasting them with coconut oil! Strange, I know, but it.will.blow.your.mind! Try tossing in some sweet potatoes chunks, too...yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some chickpeas today and have no idea what to do with them. Are they hard and crunchy when roasted? Thanks for the idea. Pinning now!

    ReplyDelete