Thursday, February 7, 2013

Headboard Update



When I was rolling around the idea of updating the Guest Room, I knew two things right off the bat that had to happen with the bed.

1) I definitely still wanted metal, but rather than the current contemporary lines, I was looking for something with a bit more rustic, vintage find. 

2) I needed to get rid of the footboard.
We don't get overnight guests too terribly often, but the ones who do stay with some regularity, are all very TALL.  And as much as *I* love a full bed with a footboard, I can't imagine our 6'7" nephew loves banging his feet or getting his ankles tangled in between the rungs of a metal footboard.
That doesn't exactly scream "hospitality".  ;)
So, simple headboard it is.

I also didn't want to spend a whole lot (SHOCKER!)  :)

After scouring vintage shops and keeping an exhaustive watch on Craigslist, I finally found the winner at Target, of all places.
The Dexter headboard looked like it had all the elements I was going for, and the price was right, too.

 Dexter Headboard: via Target.com

The only catch was that it was online-only so I couldn't see it in person.
With free shipping and good reviews, I figured I would take the risk and gave it a shot.

When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by the sturdiness and quality.
I loved the overall look and shape.
The finish was an antique bronze with a dimpled finish that I wasn't expecting.
I didn't dislike it, though.
But something was bugging me, and I couldn't figure out what it was.
I couldn't figure it out, that is, until we took The Redhead out to the neighborhood pizza place.
Once we got there, it hit me:
My new headboard looked like a chair from the Pizza Ranch.

Seriously, check it out..

My headboard:

Pizza Ranch chair:


SEE????

I wish the pic was better but I just used my phone.
In person, the resemblance was unreal.
Nothing against the Pizza Ranch, but it wasn't exactly the feel I was going for in my guest room. ;)

Now.
Do I REALLY think anyone would notice this but me?
No.
But even though only a few guests would ever use the room,
*I* live there and would see it every day.

So, I turned to Rust-Oleum to come to the rescue!

I chose a metallic paint in "Carbon Mist" - I hadn't seen this color before and it was PERFECT.

A coat of primer (even though it's paint and primer in one, I still used a primer for maximum durability in the long run) and two coats of Carbon Mist later, and I had the headboard I had envisioned from the get-go for this room.


Gotta love what a little paint will do!

Now that it's finished... I'm in the mood for some pizza. ;)


Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. I bought the same exact bed from Overstock, but in king. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty bed! I really love the yellow and the framed bunting above it. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to invite you to link up to Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-4-plus-a-giveaway

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete