Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Magnet Board [Tutorial]



 

In most homes, kitchens end up being a hub of activity.  In our house, it also tends to be ground zero for household communication and organization.  We have activities organized on the calendar, but we need a go-to space for important phone numbers, doctors/dentists/etc, and how to get ahold of the important people like the handyman or the carpet cleaner or plumber who you don’t need often, but when you do you can never seem to find their info.

I’ve always kept corkboard on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door, because that’s what my mom always did.  And it was useful.  But as time went on, the cork had started to bubble up and needed to be re-adhered (is that even a word?  Well today it is. :) ).  And it was getting cluttered and I was feeling the need for something fresh and a little more streamlined.  I was painting the kitchen cabinets, so I was going to have to take it off anyway.  I figured this would be a good time to change things up. 
 
I love corkboards, but my one beef is that if you have one with a small surface, it doesn’t take too long for the surface to be riddled with so many holes that eventually your tacks start to fall out in “high traffic” places.  That doesn’t always happen, but when it does it really annoys me.  I decided to make the shift to magnets because then that’s a moot issue. 

During wandering trips to Home Depot and Lowe’s, I’ve often admired the different decorative radiator grates, and thought there were a lot of cool things you could do with them.  I remembered Jen used one for a cool earring holder.  And I know there are lots of other uses floating around blogland.  I loved the look of the punched-metal design, but I didn’t love the $18-$35 per-sheet price tag.  AND, they are aluminum, so they are not magnetic.

Here’s how I solved both problems:

1)      I found that Hobby Lobby now sells these same sheets (still cute, still not magnetic ;) ) for a much better price – around $13 a sheet.  Bring in your 40% off coupon and all of a sudden that’s a much better bargain for the same product.
2)      I remembered from making The Redhead’s MagnetBoard that galvanized sheeting used for ductwork IS magnetic, and is also cheap.  This I planned to layer *behind* the decorative piece, so the magnets would grab onto the magnetic sheet *through* the decorative one. 
 Both these sheets together cost me less than $15.

I used tin snips to trim the sheeting down to size.  Wear gloves, people!  The metal edge you cut will be SHARP and it’s super easy to slice your hands.  You might be very skilled with tin snips, but I am not.  Therefore, my edge was pretty ragged.  No worries, though, that’s where the decorative edge steps in.

I painted the sheeting with a couple coats of Restoration Hardware’s Silver Sage (it's really more green-grey.. I have no idea why it kept photographing sky blue...) paint and let it dry overnight.  Then, I fit it inside the cabinet door using Command Strips – they hold a ton, and this is a great option for renters who are worried about doing damage to cabinets.  It can be as permanent or as temporary as you want it to be. 

Once that was up, I knew I didn’t want ragged edges around my decorative piece.  I knew I could always build or find a frame for it, but I didn’t have enough clearance on the inside of the cupboard.  So, I simply used a dab of  E6000 glue in each corner to keep it in place.  This stuff will hold elephants over the Grand Canyon (okay not really, but it holds a ton!) but if you need to take things down, it’s sort of gelatinous like rubber cement, and will come off easily with the help of a straight edge. 

And that's it!

I picked up some strong, Rare Earth magnets for cheap (I think $3 or $4 for a pack of 8) and just Modge Podge'd some cute scrapbook paper onto the fronts.


Overall I love the clean, streamlined look of things.
It helps keep us organized, and when I'm ready for a change, it will be an easy switcheroo! :)


 Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Very cute and so great for hiding all those messy looking notes. Love the decorative fretwork grate over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Love how you made it magnetic. I may have to do this. Going to pin for later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you at House of Hepworths. Love your radiator grate idea. I've often thought of using them but never came up with a place to use them. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - love your tutorial!! This looks stunning! I've been wanting to make this for my laundry room to run up the height of the wall - but can't find the radiator grill here! I'm impressed - looks amazing! I would love if you could link up your creativity at Project Inspire{d}! Tx! http://www.settingforfour.com/2013/02/join-me-as-i-join-project-inspired.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just subscribed to your blog! Have a fabulous week :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I so need this inside my cupboard...my baking cupboard this would be useful to hold recipes! Thanks for the idea! Visiting from 320 Sycamore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get out! I didn't know HL sold these. Another reason to mourn not having a Hob Lob! Love this, Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for these sheets everywhere! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to do this type of project but couldn't find magnets strong enough to stick. I'll give the Rare Earth ones a shot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is completely genius!!

    ReplyDelete