Thursday, March 28, 2013

DIY Family Art


I finally finished painting the trim in the stairway to the basement (just 2 rooms in the house left to go! In 2025 when I finally finish that, we can *really* celebrate ;) ) so now of course I’m looking at the space with fresh eyes.

And I mean, it’s a stairway.

(And seriously?  I snapped this shot eight different times, and the dog photobombed each. and. every. one.  Such a diva. ;) So, we're going with this one. )

Nothing really to write home about, much less worry about decorating, right?

I won’t be putting anything on the walls going down the stairs because it’s a fairly narrow space and leaving it open gives it the illusion of being slightly larger.  

But there isn’t a doorway going downstairs… this is an open stairway just off the entry to our home.  And looking down, this blank wall was… kinda blah.  And frankly, starting to bug me.

I’ve been wanting to do some sort of family-centric art for a while now, but hadn’t found the place to put it. 
Since the basement is a spot where we spend a lot of time as a family—watching sports or movies, playing with the girls in the playroom, etc., it seemed like this might be a natural fit for it.
So, 10 minutes of staring at this space turned into one of the cheapest, easiest, and fastest pieces of decoration in my home.  And because of the nature of it, it’s going to keep evolving on its own for years to come. 

So simple.  Ahem:
 
I started with a large wrapped canvas snagged from Hobby Lobby (like everything else in there, these go 50% off every few weeks.  Just wait for it – it’s worth it).  This big mamma jamma ended up being about $12.50.
 Once I brought it home, I rummaged around my paint stash and came up with a few colors that complemented the space and each other.
Then we just painted everyone’s hands and slapped ‘em on the canvas.
Yep, that’s it!
The Redhead thought it was so crazy fun that Mom and Dad were painting their hands, too.
Not that I would forget whose handprint belonged to whom, but I took a fine sharpie and wrote our names and the year next to each one.  
We purposely took only a corner of the canvas, so next year, we can do it again.  I figure we have about 5 years of prints we can smoosh onto this one canvas, and it will be fun to see how the girls’ hands grow over time.
 
 
And for less than 15 bucks, that’s art that is definitely in my budget! 

Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! Snagging this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I'm visiting from the Shabby Nest. Have you ever seen the 17,000 year old hand prints in the cave at Lascaux, France? They are all sizes, shapes and colors. Very ancient, of course. Handprints of someone's ancestors. Your art reminded me of that instantly. Here is a link you can visit to see the hand prints at the Lascaux Cave, if your are interested. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://people.finearts.uvic.ca/~cthom/images/sacred_places_gallery/lascaux.jpg&imgrefurl=http://people.finearts.uvic.ca/~cthom/images/gallery_1/&h=288&w=342&sz=136&tbnid=F1pyG4ZhwJkiuM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=107&zoom=1&usg=__0f73tzpW1nMyQmnMAEiS_Ro0Ymk=&docid=O7ikMbMX1p37AM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=l0FWUfygGei_ygG4zoGACg&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAQ&dur=330

    Hope that works, but if not, just do a google search for Lascaux Cave hand prints and you will find them!

    ReplyDelete