Tuesday, May 14, 2013

DIY Memo Board

Hey there!
I know posting has been a little sporadic lately, but we have been busy busy busy!
We had birthday parties for my little ladies, Mr.V's side/summer business is taking off, an unexpected surgery for our furry friend, and there was a mother's day thrown in there, I think.  It's been a blur.  :)

But, I *have* been doing some projects here and there, just haven't had time to post!
This one was a quickie, though, and I love the end result.

I have had this small round corkboard (a DIY from yesteryear) hanging in the pantry for a while to help me corral grocery lists, notes about what's getting low, etc.  Lately I've found that meal planning has become a necessity for us, and with that addition, well, as you can see shorty wasn't cutting it.



I finally had enough one afternoon and dug through my stash and found this lovely cheetah-print corkboard that I had picked up more than a year ago.


Normally this isn't something I would give a second look to, but it was a nice size, the frame was simple, and OH YEAH:
Mega-clearance! :)

I knew the cheetah had to go, so I grabbed a fun, printed napkin I had found (in a set) at Target.  Napkins are really versatile, usually cheap and perfect for small projects like this one, or pillows, etc.
It was my lucky day and the size was perfect - I took the cork out of the frame and didn't even have to trim the fabric, just wrapped it around the board, secured it on the back and then shoved it back in the frame.


The frame itself got a coat of creamy ivory paint, and I scrounged through my odds and ends ribbon collection to find something to hang it with.
Much better.  :)


One hour and zero dollars later, it's all good. :)

 Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. Love it! Great fabric choice :)

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogpsot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have those same napkins as well - you can check out my page to see what I'm considering using them for! Gotta love Target!! :)
    http://coleyscraftingcorner.blogspot.com/2013/05/making-curtains.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one awesome little project! I love the napkin! I used the same napkins in grey to make pillow covers!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily--I LOVE your projects. You mentioned meal planning--I have attempted this and have failed--do you have any tips/suggestions?
    Kate D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate - thanks for the compliment! Re: meal planning, it is tough and I definitely have to make it a "task" in order to make it work. It helps if I do the planning for the week/two weeks at the same time. For example, I know that every Saturday morning during CB's morning nap, that's my time for Mr. V. to have some time with The Redhead while I go over the grocery store ad and get my list together.

      I *try* to plan meals based on what's on sale to save money, but it doesn't always work out that way. I also have 5 rotating "go to" meals that I work in about once a week that are easy, and I know I always (typically) have the stuff for... tacos, spaghetti, etc. That helps in the planning to have at least one night a week that's a 'no brainer'.

      This last thing is so stupid, but make your planning sheet cute. :) Seriously - make a form with cute fonts and colors that you can post somewhere and it looks cute. There is something about treating my menu plan like an element of decor that makes me hold myself accountable to it. I am so totally lame. :) Hope this helps - good luck!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! Love the black with the yellow too. I'm visiting from Show me what ya got link party.
    Hope you have a great day!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your board looks great! What a cute idea, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new look of the board. From boring to dazzling! That’s definitely creative of you to give that board a new look. Thanks for giving a creative idea. That board is perfect in our kitchen cabinet for post notes and other reminders. That idea of yours is purely one of a kind and it’s really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever!! Don't you just love Target? I am always perusing their tablecloths, dishtowels and shower curtains for new and improved DIY uses - you just gave me another fabric stop while I'm in there. :-)

    Thanks for linking up to my Project Party!

    ReplyDelete