Monday, August 5, 2013

DIY Custom Clay Tags



I love the look of a custom gift tag or label, but have taken to making my own lately, simply because I’m just too cheap to shell out to have stuff done. : ) 

I saw some adorable clay gift tags at a specialty store that I *loved*, but at $4 for each one, I thought for sure I could figure out how to make my own.  Turns out, I had the supplies sitting right in my craft cabinet all along!
I bought this air-dry clay a while ago for crafts with The Redhead – it’s soft and malleable like play-doh, but it dries hard on its own without you having to bake it.  It’s been fun to encourage her creative side and watch her make her own art.  This entire tub is about $5 and it will last a while.
So, I grabbed the rest of this stuff and I was off to the races:

First, make sure you have a sturdy, flat surface to work with, preferably one you can move/set aside once your creations are ready to dry.  (I use either a paper plate or sometimes The Redhead’s placemat)  That way, when I’m done I can just set them in the other room up high to dry, and not work about little fingers poking or grabbing them while they’re still wet.
 Take a hunk of your clay and roll it flat with a rolling pin.  The toughest part for me is getting the clay to an even width.
Once flat, I used a cookie cutter for the outer shape and a pencil end to make my ribbon hole.  For smaller holes, I just used a bamboo skewer (for shish kabobs) that I could toss when I was done.

For the lettering, all you need is a rubber stamp.  I used a set of mini rubber alphabet stamps to spell out names, but you can also use preformed stamps if you have a specific design or saying (like “Thanks” or “Congrats”) that you want on there.

Gently press your stamp into the tag, then….. set it aside and wait overnight for it to dry!  It really is that easy! **note: I like my tags plain, but if you want the typeface to stand out a little more, just ink up your rubber stamp before stamping on the clay.

When it’s completely dry, I use a mini spatula to ease the tag off the surface.  Usually I take a *very* fine grit sandpaper to the side edges, just to smooth it out, and sometimes to the face of the tag if I feel it’s a little bit lumpy.

And there you have it!  Custom labels/tags for a fraction of the cost!
 

Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! Simple and adorable! I saw your link over at A Bowl Full of Lemons and wanted to personally invite you to my very first linky party that I am hosting TODAY - Tute's Tuesdays at UpcycledAntiques.com. This is my first time hosting so advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope to see you at the party! ;) I will definitely be trying out these tags..super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. I just followed you and hoping you'll follow back :)
    http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete