Friday, March 7, 2014

Crate & Barrel Dish Wall Mirror [Knockoff DIY]


I really love the Dish Wall Mirror from Crate & Barrel.  
We don't have a Crate & Barrel where I live, but I always seem to notice it in the catalog, and whenever I've been in the store elsewhere I notice how simple and pretty it is.
And then I sigh at the $269 price tag and move along.


The Alastair Convex Wall Mirrors from Ballard Designs are similar, but still a bit pricey (and while the convex glass is definitely cool, it reminds me of security mirrors in retail stores, and kind of gives me Walleye Vision)

So, I decided to make my own (duh duh DUUUHHH!! Clearly you're shocked ;) )

But what do you think?
I'm super happy with the results:

I had originally purchased these mirrors from Hobby Lobby (half-off, natch) to go with my guest room makeover.  I thought the colors would work, but the turquoise color was just too bright so I grey-washed it.
Then the colors were right, but somehow they looked too contemporary for the more rustic, farm-housey room.

So they sat in a drawer.
(And BTW, I'm sorry that this one image is posting sideways.
I've been messing with it for way too long, so I'm just gonna leave it.  Hopefully your neck won't suffer for too long... if it does...... stop looking. :) )

I had a wall in the office that was a blank slate and looking for something subtle, and these fit the bill.

I simply painted the frames black (I used chalkboard paint because I happened to have it on hand and it was too cold to spraypaint.  Apparently freezing in the middle of a Polar Vortex isn't ideal painting conditions.  Who knew.

After the frames were black, I just grabbed my rub'n buff (antique gold) and painted a thin band around the very center to give the illusion of a metal band.  It only takes just a teeeeny bit of rub'n buff to get the desired look - this stuff lasts forever!  I've had that same tube for more than a year and it's still almost full.
Normally I just use my finger, but I wanted a crisp line so I opted to use a brush for this project.



Done during naptime, with enough time to spare to catch the Hawkeyes on TV.
My kind of project! :)

Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

12 comments:

  1. I just popped over from 320 Sycamore... looks great! I love a good knockoff that saves a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? :) Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm here from 320 as well. Looks AWESOME! Question: Did you paint the gold band on top of the inner, "side" edge of the black frame? Or did you just paint on top of the mirror surface itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't paint on the glass/mirror surface at all. On this mirror there was a little ridge along the inside that I used as my guide for the gold.

      If your mirror doesn't have a ridge or edge like that, just find something round like a salad plate or something that is slightly larger than the mirror opening, and trace a band in pencil. You can use that line as your painting guide.

      Good Luck! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I can't even tell the difference between yours and the C & B one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so good and so expensive. I forget about rub and buff sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? And it lasts *forever* :)

      Hey thanks for the feature, by the way!

      Emily

      Delete
  5. I like yours the best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emily,

    Thank you very much to sharing your post about dish wall mirrors. You have post content with attractive design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This an outstanding design "Dish Wall Mirror" I loved that.

    ReplyDelete