Thursday, January 14, 2016

New Look Nightstand: IKEA Rast Hack

Hi!
I know I still haven't shared a full reveal of The Redhead's room yet, but I'll get to it someday, I promise.
For now, I can do baby steps. ha

When we had the great bedroom swap, The Redhead's nightstand got moved into The General's big girl room.  I temporarily had a little pedestal table to serve as a nightstand, but we all hated it.  I hated that I could see the lamp cord hanging around, it was too short and The Redhead didn't like it because there wasn't enough room for her to have a spot for whatever book she was reading at bedtime. 
The catch: I didn't want to spend a lot of money (shocker! ;) )

Enter the IKEA Rast 3-Drawer Chest:
source: ikea.com

It's not cute. 
It's unfinished.
It's boring.
It's also $34.99 and therefore hack-able and perfect.  I bought two. :)

When I put it together, I didn't even bother adding those silly little wood knobs.
She's not pretty, but she's got potential.


After a trip to Lowe's, some cutting, nailing, sanding, caulking, painting, and some pretty new jewelry, she's now a really lovely addition to the room.  And just what we were looking for!
To be honest, this after picture really is a terrible photo and doesn't do it justice, but normally The Redhead is camped out in here and the room/furniture is covered in artwork or some other creation she's working on, so I take what I can get in here. :)

I cut down a larger pine plank for the top of the nightstand to give it more surface area.  Under the lip of the top I added cove trim to cover up the gap (you can see from the before picture that the side planks are slightly raised above the top.  So, adding the piece on top left a small gap between the original top and the new.  The cove trim masks that nicely.


 I used lattice for the trim around the drawers to give it a little interest and dimension.  I mitered the corners for a more professional look, because I'm fancy like that. ;)

The color is Mindful Gray from Sherwin Williams.  I had some left over from when I updated the girls' bathroom a while ago and the color worked in this room so I just used what I had.
I love when things are free!

The knobs are from Hobby Lobby.  They add a little bit of whimsy and color without being obnoxious or too childish.  And also, SALE. :)


So, for less than $50, we'll take it!


 I've got another one waiting for its makeover, so we'll see what's in store.
Cheers,
Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. These look great! I have two that I slapped a coat of paint on right after we moved in, but now need to go back and do something more creative with them.

    ReplyDelete